After a short hiatus, I am excited to have the Tech Cocktail team back in Boulder today to host one of our classic Tech Cocktail mixer events. The event will showcase a number of the latest startups from the local area, as well as some of the latest tech innovations from X.commerce and Mapquest. The X.commerce eXpress tour bus will be on hand and you can take a tour or watch our video tour. Also Mapquest will be showing off it’s latest creation MqVibe.
We started hosting our classic mixers in Boulder working with our friends at TechStars, Lijit and Threadless back in 2008. Since then, Boulder and it’s tech landscape has changed quite a bit! Take a look…
- TechStars has grown significantly to become a nationally top ranked accelerator program in Boulder, Boston, Seattle and New York.
- Lijit was acquired, and friends like Micah Baldwin, who was a staple in the community with Lijit at the time, has moved on to become CEO of Graphicly, which has now moved to San Francisco.
- Harper Reed, who was with Threadless and flew out to Boulder from Chicago to support our first Boulder mixer, has moved on to be CTO of the Obama campaign.
- At our first event we showcased a startup called SocialThing (before they even launched), introduced them to AOL (where I was working at the time), and watched them quickly get acquired – the first exit of a TechStars startup.
- After being at AOL for a little while, SocialThing’s Matt Galligan went on to start up SimpleGeo in Boulder, which eventually moved to San Francisco before he moved on to his next endeavor.
- Ari Newman and Filtrbox showcased at our first event and then went on to be acquired by Jive Software.
So there have been lots of changes in just a few short years and I am excited to be back in Boulder to see how this startup city’s eco-system continues to evolve and grow.
The eleven startups featured in Boulder are as follows:
- Radish Systems
- The Trade Desk
- U Grok It
- Monday, October 24th, 6:30pm
- Absinthe House, 1109 Walnut Street, Boulder, CO 80302
- TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE
We’re excited to meet some of the area’s most interesting early stage startups and if you cannot make it we’ll be covering them on TechCocktail.com, so look for those articles soon.