14 Apps to Pump Up Your Super Bowl Sunday
Feb 2, 2013
Apparently, there’s some sort of sporting event going on this weekend.
Whether you’re watching the Super Bowl from the comfort of your couch or with the crowds in New Orleans, here are some apps that will keep you plugged in.
Livefyre Super Bowl: A hub for all the social chatter around the Super Bowl, with tweets, Instagram photos, and videos of commercials.
Football Squares: An app that lets you place your bets on scores, without all the paper.
Mardi Brah: A mobile game that tests your football skills, with the backdrop of beautiful New Orleans.
In New Orleans
In mid-January, the Super Bowl Host Committee and entrepreneur Travis Laurendine organized the Codemkrs SUPER Challenge, a two-day hackathon to improve the Super Bowl experience for fans coming to New Orleans. They also hoped to promote the local technology industry.
“Visitors will certainly leave with memories of the food, entertainment, culture, and architecture for which New Orleans has long been celebrated, but we want to add technology to that takeaway list,” they said.
Here are the apps that were built:
- Eat Now NOLA (first place): An app that lists restaurant wait times.
- Gigs Guru (second place): An app to find live music.
- Digital Tip Jar (third place): An app to tip musicians.
- NOLA Parks (special prize): An app with maps of over 200 parks in the area.
- Heart Bucket: An app to recognize employees for outstanding service at restaurants, hotels, and other venues.
- CrawFinder: An app to find crawfish boils.
- Dome Wait: An app with bathroom and concession wait times.