August 21, 2014
Hey DC, we’re excited to announce that we will host our DC Mixer & Startup Showcase sponsored by Vornado on Sept 9th! We once again have a special event prepared for the DC entrepreneurial community, and trust us, you won’t want to miss it! Mark your calendars and join us at Crystal Tech Fund, where you’ll meet some great entrepreneurs and hear from a new group of local startups showcasing their products.
Now for the fun part: Who is DC’s Hottest Showcasing Startup? Let us know your thoughts by voting in this poll at the end of this post (ends at 6:00pm local time on the day of the event – get the official rules here). The winner will be announced live at the event and will receive recognition in the editor’s note of the weekly newsletter and added press recognizing the honor of being elected DC‘s Hottest Showcasing Startup, as well as a chance for a spot at this year’s national competition, Tech Cocktail Celebrate.
Who is DC’s Hottest Showcasing Startup?
- Augur-Nexus - Meshes scientific remote imagery with economic analysis to provide businesses risk management and sustainable development tools via super computer applications. Whereas today the purchasing of imagery is expensive and requires a one to one relationship for the buyer to find a provider, Augur-Nexus creates a digital market place for satellite remote imagery via an on-line brokerage tying the providers, analysts, and customers to deliver products that mesh seamlessly with their enterprise architecture.
- DroneShield - Drones are becoming pervasive around the world with tens of thousands of units sold every month. Drones present unique threats to privacy, physical security, and public safety with an estimated $4.6B security-related market in executive protection, airport and government facility protection, industrial and critical infrastructure security, and border patrol.
- EzCouponTracker - Our intended solution provides a simple and easy to manage, track, share and redeem coupons. Not only does the software provide a mechanism to manage coupons, it also has several other features; one of them is users can “call out” for coupons enabling their circles to share the coupons they are in need of.
- Greenease - Greenease is a mobile app on the iOS platform that allows consumers to search for restaurants, cafes, grocers and caterers that buy local, and/or provide sustainable food options. Users can search by grass-fed and hormone-free meats, sustainable seafood, organic, local and more. Start learning about where your food comes from when you dine out today!
- GroupSurfing - Group shopping, book discussions, news and sports discussions are solved by the free consumer version. The low-cost business version, hexsee pro (available in Nov), tracks group excursions enabling verification of workers who telecommute, which is a serious problem limiting use of telecommuting by organizations. Hexsee pro also allows business groups to demonstrate products online, engage in brainstorming, and other business types of explorations.
- HeadCount, Inc. - Mobile users in emerging markets do not access mobile internet due to high cost, price sensitivity, and unreliable networks. HeadCount solves this problem by pairing the global phenomenon of “missed calling” with free incoming SMS to keep consumers updated on the go.
- Imagine If, Inc – Consumers – Combine all of the hotels and the relationship (rate terms, rewards) in one place and provide powerful search that address current issues (e.g. too many choices so search them all at once). Hotels – Reduce the existing average cost of 24% paid to the Online Travel Agencies (OTAs) and then support their branding in the face of communization that is taking place from the OTAs.
- NoteShow - NoteShow is the brainchild of strategists who saw information bottlenecked within their own large organizations. We created the tool to boost transparency, learning and collaboration within our own company and are committed to solving old workplace problems like these through new technology. The platform unlocks the power of an organization’s brightest employees by allowing experts to share their research as they read it. Now, anyone within the company learn by looking virtually over the shoulders of experts within their team. Noteshow fosters employee engagement, increases knowledge sharing and helps to create value with the work your company is already doing.
- Ostendio, Inc - In an increasingly regulated business environment, companies need to demonstrate compliance with ever more stringent government regulations. With both the recent enactment of the Affordable Care Act and the Final Omnibus rule, SMBs now have the same compliance requirements as large enterprises, but with a fraction of the resources. MyVCM helps to redress that balance by providing an affordable cloud-based solution that manages some of the compliance burden for the company. And importantly, by displaying the MyVCM badge, customers demonstrate their increased compliance which directly enhances their sales effectiveness.
- Snaapiq – Snaapiq solves problems and capitalizes on opportunities in the B2B and B2C worlds. For businesses, Snaapiq provides intimate engagement with consumers through photo contests, which leads to rich and active advertising, rather than much of the passive advertising on social media. In addition, Snaapiq allows brands to easily manage contests in the mobile world, including distributing rewards and analyzing consumer behavior, where no comparable platform exists. To consumers, Snaapiq offers prizes for consumer pictures, which is a clear opportunity in consumer time and photo enjoyment. Users spend significant time in the Snaapiq app per session, which proves that Snaapiq fills the “problem” void of consumer entertainment value.
- thinkSeekers- People want accessible learning: Over 10 Million students have signed up for MOOCs as of 2013, and the number has been sky-rocketing. Yet, no sustainable solution exists: Only 7% or so people finish them, because they are not engaged enough. We offer a low-cost way to access quality, interactive learning in small groups, keeping engagement up. What MOOCs are to lectures, we enable for discussions.
- Wend – Wend is an mobile platform for building map based apps and games. Using Wend, you can design and deploy an app where virtual objects and real people wander around the world interacting with one another. Wend automatically scales to thousands of simultaneous users and can be used to create social networks, real world games, or any location based simulation.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!