Futurists:BetaLaunch: A “Tech Petting Zoo” In Vancouver This Weekend
Jul 6, 2011
As you know, Tech Cocktail will have our first Vancouver event on July 9th, working with the World Future Society and Futurists:BetaLaunch. We’ve been posting about all the local companies who will be demoing as part of Tech Cocktail, but we’d also like to share with you some of the future-thinking projects that are part of the Futurists:BetaLaunch, which will also be on display between July 9th and 10th. Some of them may be familiar as they’ve been part of Tech Cocktail in the past; others will be new, and we encourage you to check them out.
On July 9-10 in Vancouver, the World Future Society and 1X57 will showcase a dozen innovations and technologies with Futurists:BetaLaunch, a “tech petting zoo” which offers a vision of the future to the 1,000 futurists gathering for WorldFuture 2011, the Society’s annual conference.
For this inaugural event:
“We had over 60 excellent submissions…and could accept a handful of entries,” said Lisa Donchak, Google associate and one of the F:BL judges. “We were surprised and impressed by the quality of each submission.… We hope WorldFuture 2011 attendees enjoy getting up close and personal with the final selections. We’ll be exhibiting a phenomenal range of inventions, big and small,” she said in a taped segment, available on the Futurists: BetaLaunch website.
Special guest, Dale Dougherty, editor and publisher of MAKE magazine, and co-founder of O’Reilly Media, Inc., will be speaking in conjunction with the launch of Futurists: BetaLaunch.
Among the F:BL 2011 winners:
- Primer Code Hero - Changes the gaming platform by making all knowledge playable
- SmartUp – Coaches the brain to optimize intelligence, wellness and productivity, relying on spacing effect, human coaching and context
- Guardian Watch – Allows anyone with a mobile device to stream video and report emergencies in real-time, alerting local law enforcement and members of your neighborhood with your GPS location and a visual of the the scene
- The Thermoacoustic Engine – Generates electricity from any fuel or heat source (including sunlight, gas or biomass) with extraordinary efficiency, simplicity and reliability
- TechShop - The first membership based, do-it-yourself (DIY) workshop and fabrication studio, providing its members access to a vibrant, open community of highly creative people and high-quality machines, tools and software
- Seasteading- Or floating cities, will allow for experimentation with new ideas for government, by approaching government as industry and by following the spirit of entrepreneurism, injecting innovation and competition into government, thus leading to better societal architecture
- SkyTran -Or “packet switching for people” will revolutionize centuries old human-guided transport
- The Non-Invasive Diagnosis Device – Will permit individuals to self-diagnose for blood borne diseases
- The Headset Computer – Is a head-worn, mobile computer headset with full voice, audio and PC capabilities
- StartSomeGood - Provides social entrepreneurs with a platform to raise start-up funds and build a community of supporters — all in a fun, engaging and community-driven way
We hope to see you this weekend – tickets are still available.