Tech Cocktail has traveled the country, from Dallas to DC, Chicago to Miami, uncovering the hottest startups in more than 30 cities. Now, the word is out: winning startups from each city will go onto the next round and get the chance to qualify for Tech Cocktail Celebrate, our new national startup competition held in Downtown Vegas on October 6 – 7.
NYC, here’s your chance to show us what ya got! Join us at Center for Social Innovation for an evening of New York City’s hottest early-stage startups and cocktails with your neighbors and technophile friends.
We’ll have a gaggle of startups on hand, showcasing their goods, but before the event kicks off, we want to know what you think: Who is New York City’s Hottest Showcasing Startup? Let us know your thoughts by answering the poll at the end of this post (ends at 6:00pm local time on the day of the event – get the official rules here). The winner will be announced live at the event and will receive recognition in the editor’s note of our weekly national newsletter, recognizing the honor of being elected as New York City’s Hottest Showcasing Startup, as well as a chance for a spot at this year’s national competition, Tech Cocktail Celebrate. Don’t miss out.
Who is New York City’s Hottest Showcasing Startup?
- Circumrent- Pay less when you move in, get paid 3% of your annual rent when you move out. Circumrent puts the power of the rental market in the hands of everyday New Yorkers.
- CommonKey- Easily and securely managing and sharing access to the hundreds of shared logins that companies use on a regular basis to be successful. CommonKey solves a problem at the intersection productivity and security.
- LookBooker- LookBooker seeks to solve problems of inefficiency on both sides of the market. For salons, LookBooker addresses the following problems: – The average salon operates at only 60% capacity, and in a service-business model unfilled appointment slots can never be recovered – Staff resources are wasted on manually taking appointments; answering the phone, managing reschedules – Salons have limited online presence and struggle to reach new customers – Current booking methods do not reflect online scheduling innovations seen in other industries For consumers, LookBooker addresses the following problems: – Customers are forced to call around to find appointments and are restricted to doing so in salon hours – There is no transparency over appointment availabilities, particularly last-minute slots – There is no online aggregator bringing together appointment availabilities and credible reviews of multiple salons.
- LumiFi - LumiFi makes once expensive luxury lighting control easy, affordable and accessible to everyone. Now users can simply and easily choose preset lighting scenes that have been expertly crafted to set a mood for any space. These lighting experiences range from energizing morning sunlight to romantic lit nights. The user friendly and intuitive interface makes set-up and bulb commissioning quick and easy saving time and money. And its also just fun! LumiFi has positioned itself ahead of our competitors by using award winning experts in lighting design to do more than merely turn lights on and off but to allow users to add an emotional layer to their home and work spaces with curated lighting. LumiFi is the only solution that has incorporated into its design process various elements of scientific research that show that certain lighting can trigger physiological and emotional responses.
- picsell - picsell makes selling your stuff as simple as taking a picture. Launch our app and snap 3 pics of your item, tell us what it is, and we’ll tell you what it’s worth. Agree to our price offer and we’ll sell your item for you. Once your item sells you get a pre-paid shipping label. Just send your stuff out to the buyer to get paid.
- Rockerbox - Rockerbox enables e-commerce companies to acquire new customers at lower costs. Retargeting is highly effective but limited in scale to existing website visitors. Prospecting is necessary but very difficult due to the endless set of users that one can target. By focusing on the sub-set of users whose current browsing intent is relevant (i.e. last 30 minutes of browsing behaviors), Rockerbox is able to drive down customer acquisition costs by over 75%
- SketchFactor- People are afraid to explore familiar and new cities on foot because they fear encountering sketchy areas. Maps give insight into where streets intersect, but provide no information on what the streets look like, and more importantly, how people experience these areas. Obtaining this information is time consuming and limited. In addition, directions are made using driving maps, making on-the-ground navigation painful and confusing. SketchFactor takes the guesswork out of city exploration. The app empowers users to view relevant data and make smarter decisions on where to walk and where to avoid. Users can also input sketchy moments of their own; whether being catcalled or stopped-and- frisked, SketchFactor puts city navigation into the users’ hands.
- SocialRank- Helping brands find out more information about their followers.