June 22, 2014
Did you miss out on one (or five) of Tech Cocktail’s posts from this week? It’s okay. We want to let you know that we forgive you; we totally get it. You’re a busy person, with a lot of things on your mind and equally as many things to do. You had people to meet, places to be, and tacos to eat. No worries, though, because we’ve curated this week’s top 10(ish) posts as determined by the Tech Cocktail editorial team. Need more Tech Cocktail? Sign up for the Tech Cocktail newsletter today, and get the weekly wrap-up direct to your inbox.
Here are this week’s Tech Cocktail Top Stories:
- Solar Roadways Is Exactly What It Sounds Like, And It’s Awesome: This is actually the future, guys. Building solar panels into our roads can increase efficiency in so many ways. The Indiegogo campaign, which is to help support scaling these panels for mass production and installation, has already raised over $2 million.
- Swift: Apple Is About To Become More Popular: When Swift was released, waves of praise came from the developer community because of the programming language’s disruptive nature. Here’s why Swift is so important, and what it means for Apple’s future.
- Y Combinator’s Sam Altman on Founder Depression: Y Combinator president, Sam Altman, opened up about the necessity for startup founders to open up about their depression. Read why founders need to talk about mental health.
- The Best Up-and-Coming Cities For Young Entrepreneurs: Find out which two cities are the best for young entrepreneurs.
- Local Motors Creates The World’s First 3D Printed Car: I mean…what more can we say, really? Check it out.
- Making Your Startup Team Happy: You’re Doing It Wrong: In his book Flourish, Martin Seligman talks about the misconception of happiness and our pursuit of it; instead, we should pursue these five things that add up to “well-being”.
- Will.I.Am, Bill Nye, and a Robot Giraffe: Just a Few Things We Saw at the White House Maker Faire: We got to attend the very first White House Maker Faire. Check out our photos from the event! Warning: the most important #SELFIE that has every happened lays within.
- What to Know About the Maker Movement and Why You Should Care: Aside from the White House Maker Faire, it was a huge week in DC for the Maker Movement. Here’s what you need to know about it, and how it affects our economy.
- From 0 to 60: An Actionable Plan for Starting Social Media Marketing: Here are 61 easy (seriously) steps to setting up a social media presence for your company.
- Amazon Unveils Smartphone: Fire Phone: Amazon showed the world its Fire Phone this week. Here’s what to know about it.
- St. Louis Based Yurbuds Acquired By Harman: Yurbuds, which specializes in-ear and behind-the-ear headphones for athletes, announced this week that they’ve been acquired.
- .CO: The Formula Every Successful Company In South Florida Should Adopt: Read what Jose Ignacio Rasco, Managing Director of Straat Investments (.CO’s former parent company), has to say about .CO’s successful exit, and how South Florida startups can adopt a similar strategy.
Like what you’re reading? Have some great knowledge and think you have what it takes to write some great content for others in the startup or tech space? Then, consider writing for us!
Have you pre-ordered our book, yet? Pre-order now on Amazon for Startup Mixology: Tech Cocktail’s Guide to Building, Growing, and Celebrating Startup Success.
Interested in coming to a Tech Cocktail event? Check out our Tech Cocktail calendar here. Hope to see you whenever!
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!