Earlier this we week, we covered the social sharing trends from 2011. The biggest standout theme from AddThis’ data revealed what we had already suspected; 2011 was the year that widescale mobile adoption went from a future prediction to our current reality.
With today’s release of the “Mobile Year in Review 2011″ by MobileFuture, this theme is heavily expanded upon. The video focuses on five key trends: the increase of available apps and downloads, a surge in mobile social media usage, the rise of data traffic, increased competition, and the potential for an explosion of job creation as a result from this trend.
Some interesting statistics from the video include:
- There are more wireless subscriptions than there are people (on Earth at least)
- Independent app creators earned $3billion from the Apple App Store alone
- 103 million mobile tweets are sent per day
- Text messages increased 16% from the previous year, to a total of 8 TRILLION
- In the face of a down economy, wireless contributed an additional 1/2 million jobs to the US
As tablets become cheaper and more mainstream, look for this trend to continue to accelerate in 2012.