There are few places in the U.S. that speak to our love for shopping like the Mall of America in Minneapolis, so it is fitting that QR Codes met their match there on Black Friday.
Mall of America worked with Minneapolis-based mobile agency MixMobi to deliver time changing offers within each of the QR Codes placed throughout the mall’s property. MixMobi did this using their latest offering, Timeboxing, which gives companies the opportunity to create new messages for the same QR Code based on date, time and click. This continuously changing feature is a win-win for everyone: it gives consumer an incentive to return to the QR Code and a huge property, like the Mall of America, an easier way to integrate offers from their 500+ retail stores.
The Mall of America’s strategy was strategic, smart, and effective:
– Capitalized on high shopping traffic and interest (or frenzy as some would call it)
– Fed the need of consumers to “find” the best deals, whether in-store or by following the 100 QR Codes placed in the rotunda area of the mall
– Changing offers encouraged consumers to return to QR Codes to discover the next offer and introduce them to retailers and products they might have otherwise missed
– QR Codes could deliver offers flexible by time and consumer needs (i.e., end of the day could call upon “me” shopping moments or restaurant offers)
– Retailers could appropriately staff based on the timeboxed offers being delivered
– Mall and retailers could see an immediate response to their offer and tie measurement to clicks and purchases based on previous year’s performance
The Mall of America plans to keep their QR strategy running through December 23, 2011. If you have a chance to shop there, let us know what you think!