April 12, 2014
Did you miss out on one (or five) of Tech Cocktail’s posts from this week? It’s okay. We want to let you know that we forgive you; we totally get it. You’re a busy person, with a lot of things on your mind and equally as many things to do. You had people to meet, places to be, and tacos to eat. No worries, though, because we’ve curated this week’s top 10(ish) posts as determined by the Tech Cocktail editorial team. Need more Tech Cocktail? Sign up for the Tech Cocktail newsletter today, and get the weekly wrap-up direct to your inbox.
- 6 Damn Good Reasons to Startup in Bali: Our senior writer spent some time in Bali and not only got to experience a slice of paradise, but found herself immersed in the island’s growing startup community. Find out why you should consider starting there (pictures included!).
- Crystal Tech Fund Announces Its First 6 Investments and Opens DC Office: This week, Paul Singh opened the DC-area office for his Disruption Corporation’s $5o million Crystal Tech Fund, and announced its first six portfolio companies.
- Who is Pittsburgh’s Hottest Showcasing Startup? [POLL]: This upcoming Thursday is Tech Cocktail’s Mixer & Startup Showcase in Pittsburgh. Have you voted for your favorite startup, yet?
- Who is Boise’s Hottest Showcasing Startup? [POLL]: On Wednesday, April 23rd, we’ll hold our Tech Cocktail Mixer & Startup Showcase in Boise. Vote for your favorite Boise startup now!
- Mike Judge’s ‘Silicon Valley’ Disrupts HBO: Our editor reviews the first episode of Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley, which premiered last Sunday. Haven’t seen it, yet? It’s on YouTube!
- This DC Tech Kickstarter for a Consumer 3D Printer Just Raised $1 Million in 24 Hours: DC-based M3D launched a Kickstarter campaign and raised $1M in 24 hours. Their initial goal for the 30-day campaign? $50,000.
- We’re Obsessed with Work-Life Balance, But We Totally Fail At It: Despite many years spent on studying methods for achieving the work-life balance, the majority of us still find difficulty separating work from our personal lives. We take a closer look at this challenge.
- From Med School to Patient Care, Social Media is Changing Things Up in the Healthcare Industry: Learn about the surprising ways through which social media is being utilized in the healthcare/medical community.
- Can Slyce Take Down Amazon Flow in Image Recognition Shopping?: This startup is offering visual recognition technology that is more advanced than Amazon’s, but does it stand a chance of succeeding in a segment of the retail industry that remains largely ignored?
- Data Breach: 360 Million Credentials Flood the Black Market: A recent study revealed that most of this data was taken in February of this year. What are they being used for? Who should we hold accountable? And what strategies can we undertake to reduce our risk?
- Arianna Huffington’s New Book Says: It’s Time We Stop Glorifying Burnout: In her new book, Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder, Huffington argues that our high standards for personal success and the resulting over-dedication to work are literally killing us.
Have you pre-ordered our book, yet? Pre-order now on Amazon for Startup Mixology: Tech Cocktail’s Guide to Building, Growing, and Celebrating Startup Success.
Interested in coming to a Tech Cocktail event? Check out our calendar here. Hope to see you whenever!
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!