Did you miss out on one (or five) of Tech Cocktail’s posts from this week? It’s okay. We want to let you know that we forgive you; we totally get it. You’re a busy person, with a lot of things on your mind and equally as many things to do. You had people to meet, places to be, and tacos to eat. No worries, though, because we’ve curated this week’s top 10(ish) posts as determined by the Tech Cocktail editorial team. Need more Tech Cocktail? Sign up for the Tech Cocktail newsletter today, and get the weekly wrap-up direct to your inbox.
- Y Combinator Acquired by Andreessen Horowitz for $266 Billion? Only in a SHRTURL World: This week, we were all a little shocked when an article from what supposedly was TechCrunch made an announcement that Y Combinator was acquired for $266 billion by Andreessen Horowitz. Don’t worry guys – it’s not actually a thing.
- 5 Signs You Have a Shame Culture at Your Startup: While your startup culture may seem like a cool, supportive place, sometimes it’s hard to recognize when you’ve got certain mechanisms in place that encourage shame culture.
- The “Sharing Economy” Disrupts Yet Another Industry…Local Moving: We are now living in a sharing economy. This profile on Chattanooga, TV-based startup, Bellhops, shows that the principles of this economy have moved into the local moving space.
- 10 Ways Your Email Pitch Is Offending Journalists: Trying to pitch us a story? We get hundreds of pitches each week. Read this post to avoid getting your email archived. And, no, I’m not sorry about it.
- 9 Tips for Building a Successful Startup from Someone Who’s Been There: MediaThinkLabs is Travis Wright’s fourth startup, so he’s definitely been around the block. Read his tips to help your startup get a little further.
- This Is What Happens When You Don’t Communicate to Your Team: Startups require good communication between leadership and everyone else – just like any other business – but it’s arguably more important in startup culture, where certain factors necessitate it. Our CEO Frank Gruber shares his insight on what happens when you fail to communicate to your team.
- These States Have the Worst Pay Gaps for Women [RANKING]: Keep in mind that the fact that there’s still a pay gap between genders is still a huge problem.
- 9 Blog and Content Marketing Tools You Will Use Every Day: Are you a content creator? Then, you should definitely read this.
- “Sherlybox is like a SuperCharged Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive”: Sherlybox is hardware for sharing and storing data. They launched a Kickstarter campaign this past week.
- McDonald’s Moves Into Silicon Valley, But Not How You’d Think: Spoiler: this has nothing to do with the expansion of more franchises (sorry McNuggets fans).
- Google Campus for Entrepreneurs Heads to Poland: Google for Entrepreneurs announced this week that it’s opening a campus in Warsaw.
- Chicago’s Brad Flora Sells Perfect Audience for $23 Million: On Monday, an acquisition deal was finalized for the Chicago serial entrepreneur’s latest startup.
- Medyear’s Documentary on HIV/AIDS in Africa Highlight Software’s Ability to Affect Social Change: Out of NYC, this health startup went all the way to South Africa to look at whether their app can impact the lives of those dealing with HIV/AIDS. Now, they’ve got an Indiegogo campaign to keep their focus on affecting that change.
Have you pre-ordered our book, yet? Pre-order now on Amazon for Startup Mixology: Tech Cocktail’s Guide to Building, Growing, and Celebrating Startup Success.
Interested in coming to a Tech Cocktail event? Check out our calendar here. Hope to see you whenever!