April 26, 2014
Did you miss out on one (or five) of Tech Cocktail’s posts from this week? It’s okay. We want to let you know that we forgive you; we totally get it. You’re a busy person, with a lot of things on your mind and equally as many things to do. You had people to meet, places to be, and tacos to eat. No worries, though, because we’ve curated this week’s top 10(ish) posts as determined by the Tech Cocktail editorial team. Need more Tech Cocktail? Sign up for the Tech Cocktail newsletter today, and get the weekly wrap-up direct to your inbox.
- My Top 10 Game of Thrones Android Apps: You know nothing, Jon Snow. Or, at least, when it comes to Game of Thrones apps for Android (let’s be honest: Android, in general), you know nothing. Our token Android user on editorial put together this great list of apps to accompany your Sunday night viewings.
- iLumi Kills It on Shark Tank, Brings Home $350,000 from Mark Cuban: The Dallas-based startup got a sizable investment for their smartphone-controllable LED lightbulbs.
- 5 Damn Good Reasons to Startup in Peru: When it comes to great startup ecosystems, Chile, Brazil, and Mexico are often cited when talking about countries with the right combination of factors. A member of our team went to Peru and discovered that there’s way more to the country than just their llamas.
- DC Gets 4th Place in a Ranking of the Hottest US Startup Cities: In a study of over 16,000 tech Meetups in the world, D.C. placed 4th behind San Francisco, NYC, and Seattle. Check out the rest of the rankings.
- Google Seed Micro-Fund Coming Soon?: Is Google Seed a thing? (Spoiler: probably not).
- Get Alcohol Delivered to Your Door in an Hour: NYC’s THIRSTIE is Coming to Chicago & Los Angeles: The service that launched in NYC as recently as February announced that it will be expanding its on-demand alcohol delivery service to Chicago and Los Angeles.
- Zoobean Exits Shark Tank with a Whopping $250K Investment from Mark Cuban: This startup is the first Washington, D.C.-based company to receive an investment from any of the Sharks.
- The 2 Things Email Marketing Experts Are Doing in 2014: Subscriber engagement and list segmentation have become the focus of email marketing managers. We take a look at strategies for optimizing engagement and taking advantage of that segmentation.
- 4 Online Education Trends for 2014: We look at four online education trends that educators and education startups should learn to leverage in 2014.
- 3 Trends to Watch in Performance and Brand Advertising: Part 1 of a two-part series, the founder and CEO of Impact Radius gives an in-depth overview of the trends affecting the performance and brand advertising markets in 2014.
- How Snapchat Reconnected Me with My Awkward Young Brother: Our senior writer shares her personal story on how Snapchat has played an unexpected role in improving communication with her brother.
- Cyber Security Breach: Phishing Site Steals Apple IDs: In a recent security breach during which the EA server has hacked, the site was used to phish for Apple IDs. One of our contributors lays out the factors companies should consider when choosing a Web hosting provider, in order to decrease their risk to such attacks.
- You’ll Never “Make It”: We learn about Richard St. John (a “success researcher”) and what he considers are the eight characteristics of successful people. Watch his two TED talks that are included in the piece.
- Mark Cuban and Beyond: Zoobean Gets Another Investment Post-Shark Tank: Aside from the $250,000 that the D.C. startup received for its children’s book and app recommendation platform, the company also received a $400,000 investment from the Center for Innovative Technology (CIT) GAP Funds.
- 5 Things to Know About NYC’s Grand Central Tech Accelerator: A new accelerator program that’s offering free office space in Midtown for a year in exchange for zero equity. Applications are due by May 1st.
Have you pre-ordered our book, yet? Pre-order now on Amazon for Startup Mixology: Tech Cocktail’s Guide to Building, Growing, and Celebrating Startup Success.
Interested in coming to a Tech Cocktail event? Check out our calendar here. Hope to see you whenever!
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!