10 Tech UberFacts That Will Blow Your Mind

November 15, 2014

10:00 am

I love random facts, so as you can imagine, I’m a fan of UberFacts. Although there have been times where the veracity of some of the facts were questioned, most of the facts are pretty fascinating (Did you know that Prisons have Yelp reviews?!). With more than 6 million followers since its was launched 2011, UberFacts recently launched their Android App, where you get a brand new fact every day.  The facts may vary from celebrities to science, but when it comes to tech, UberFacts have some great gems. Here are our top 10 so far:

 

1. Your brain now processes a tested smiley as a real smile. Are we becoming robots? 

IMG_9041

 

2. In 2014 alone, hackers stole more than 6.6 million Social Security numbers. Scary! 

 

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 4.21.52 PM

 

3.  The co-creator of Tetris brutally murdered his family because he never received any money from the game’s success. Sounds like there were more issues there. He could have called his lawyers. 

 

IMG_9034

 

 

4. IKEA is working on robots that assemble their furniture for you. Christmas is here early!!

IMG_9032

 

5. Candy Crush has more active monthly players than the entire population of Canada.

 

IMG_9037

 

6. The “Fi” in “WiFi” doesn’t mean anything-It was just called that because it sounded catchy and rhymed with “Hifi.” Gotta love some word play.

IMG_9036

 

7. Humans now only make up 38.5% of internet traffic- The other 61.5% is non-humans (bots, hacking tools, etc). Wait, so how was Kim Kardashian able to “Break the Internet?” These bots are dumb!

IMG_9040

 

8. Contrary to “The Social Network” Mark Zuckerberg did not create Facebook to attract girls.  No big surprise from this one folks, but interesting how Hollywood loves to embellish everything.

IMG_9031

 

9. Researchers are trying to find a way to use the heat from your butt to charge your laptop. Why in the world would anyone want to do this? Will size be an important factor? Any health hazards?..so many questions!!

IMG_9030

 

10. In 1999, hackers discovered a security flaw in Hotmail allowing anyone to log into a Hotmail account simply using the password “eh.” Eh-stupid if you ask me. 

 

IMG_9033

Did you like this article?

Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!

Sorry about that. Try these articles instead!

Camila has been heavily active in South Florida’s tech startup community, where she is a co-host of a local radio show called pFunkcast. Camila previously worked at Greenpeace International and the Organization of the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) in various communication roles. A proud Brazilian who spent most of he life in Peru, she is passionate about traveling and documentaries.

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)
Startup_Mixology_300x250