October 18, 2013
As a CEO, you are both leader and object of everybody’s gaze. The entire team looks to you for answers, leadership, and responsibility, placing the burden of success heavily on your shoulders. Setting a good example and becoming a great leader is crucial for success.
The CEO is a lot like a quarterback who moves his team toward success. Strength under pressure, poise, intelligence, and long-term vision: these are the qualities we see in quarterback greats like Peyton Manning. These qualities are also paralleled in CEO greats like Meg Whitman, who fashioned eBay into a worldwide staple.
That “what” of the issue is not so hard to figure out. The burning question a lot of us want answered is the “how.” How do you inspire a team to perform? Thankfully, we can provide you with some clarity as to the how and help you be the best CEO you can be.
Here are 15 ways for how you can inspire greatness and be an amazing CEO:
- Be creative and think outside of the box.
- Criticize privately, but praise openly and publicly.
- Hire, maintain, and retain the best team members that perform well and fit the company culture.
- Become a teacher, coach, or mentor for your team.
- Instill a culture of learning throughout all levels of the organization.
- Never hesitate to learn new skills from outside sources or your own team members.
- Always maintain the long-term company vision.
- Learn to say no.
- Always make levelheaded decisions based on data over emotion.
- Motivate your team through hardship and bad press.
- Be willing to shoulder the stress, pain, and headache that go with running a company.
- Facilitate a good link between the company and its investors.
- Become a Master Communicator.
- Study other great CEOs and examine their leadership styles.
- Take a break from thinking about your company every now and again; it may very well open your mind up to new ideas and ultimately toward success.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!