The 2013 SXSW Startup Celebration was our biggest one yet. Thousands of people came out to The Stage on Sixth in Austin during SXSW Interactive to attend live interviews, a free lunch, the DC Tech Meetup, the Power Hour Pitch Jam, and our mixer and startup showcase.
While SXSW can wear down even the strongest among us, it was so invigorating to meet Tech Cocktail supporters from around the country. We hope to see more of you next year!
In the meantime, here’s a recap of the event.
Throughout the day, Tech Cocktail marketing director Zach Davis was on stage doing video interviews with 20 entrepreneurs and tech leaders from across the country
- Google’s Don Dodge on How Google Has Grown [VIDEO]
- MakerBot’s Bre Pettis Talks about the New “Digitizer” [VIDEO]
- Matthew Inman of The Oatmeal on Creativity, Mass Popularity, and Cats [VIDEO]
- Yappem Comes to SXSW to Help Consumers Earn Rewards [VIDEO]
- Michael Chasen of Blackboard Dissects the EdTech Industry [VIDEO]
- Juan Diego Calle of .CO: Get Off the Couch and Start Something [VIDEO]
- Cindy Gallop of MakeLoveNotPorn Tells SXSWers to Hook Up (and Film It) [VIDEO]
- Eric Koester of Zaarly: I’m Bullish on the Midwest [VIDEO]
- Founder Jon Oringer Reflects on 10 Years of Shutterstock [VIDEO]
- Andy Ellwood of Waze: Know Why You Hustle [VIDEO]
- Zach Ware of the Downtown Project: Las Vegas Is Changing [VIDEO]
- Gabe Shepherd Joins the Tech Cocktail Team, Talks VegasTech, SXSW V2V [VIDEO]
- Kelly Hoey of Women Innovate Mobile: Accelerators Need More Women [VIDEO]
- Chris Schultz Talks about New Orleans-Based Launch Pad and the Newly Launched Niko Niko [VIDEO]
- Duncan Logan: Founder and CEO, RocketSpace
- Nataly Kogan on How to Be Happier [VIDEO]
- Trina Chiasson of InfoActive: Infographics Are Only the Beginning [VIDEO]
- Freddie Laker of Guide Looks into the Future [VIDEO]
- Get Home Visits from Doctors with Medicast [VIDEO]
To give SXSWers a break from all the BBQ, we served up a twist on the classic startup meal, ramen. As attendees fueled up for the day, Keep America Beautiful’s president and CEO, Matt McKenna, took the stage to announce the nonprofit’s impact goals for recycling, cleaning up communities, and planting trees and gardens this year. Afterward, McKenna sat down for a video interview:
DC Tech Meetup
The DC tech community, many of whom had traveled over 1,300 miles to get to Austin, came out in full strength to represent their hometown. And they weren’t the only ones. Along with some of his colleagues, DC mayor Vincent Gray stopped by the Startup Celebration to show his support (and share a few insights). One of Mayor Gray’s goals is to make DC the most competitive technology city on the East Coast.
Power Hour Pitch Jam
In keeping with the fast pace of SXSW, we put 29 startups on stage for 60 seconds each. Based on these lightning pitches, judges voted for the best startup, most disruptive startup, and best pitch. The judges included Michael Chasen of Blackboard, Matt Galligan of Circa, and Neal Sales-Griffin of The Starter League.
Congratulations to our winners:
- Best in show: Fleksy
- Reader’s choice: Mr. Arlo
- Best in show, late stage: ALICE Receptionist
- Best in show, runner up: Tista Games
- Most disruptive: Homesnap
- Best pitch: Speek
Mixer and Startup Showcase
To cap off the night, we did what we do best: the classic Tech Cocktail mixer and startup showcase. Twenty-nine startups were stationed at booths around the Stage on Sixth ready to greet passers-by, pass out schwag, and create some buzz. (We hear someone actually got funded that night.)
Also check out: Past SXSW Events
2012: Tech Cocktail SXSW Startup Life Celebration Presented by .CO
2010: Tech Cocktail SXSW: Blackout Sunday