July 4, 2013
The American Dream is something we are all familiar with; it could be considered our national ethos. The 4th of July is a holiday where we celebrate all things America, and the spirit of the American Dream is no exception.
This holiday, a lot of you might find yourself traveling to some of America’s hottest 4th of July destinations: Boston, Las Vegas, New York City, San Francisco, or Washington D.C.
These destinations are ranked in the top 15 of all cities for various aspects of their 4th of July celebrations, like fireworks and parties. But consider for a moment expanding the depth of your 4th of July holiday beyond the traditional elements.
All five of the aforementioned cities have some of the hottest tech startup scenes in our country, and nothing provides a more succinct picture of the American Dream than the entrepreneur. If you land in one of these cities, take the opportunity to dive into the tech scene.
Each city below features an accelerator, coworking space, and two prominent startups. Check it out:
- MassChallenge – Hailed as the largest startup accelerator and competition, MassChallenge has made it their mission to catalyze a startup renaissance by supporting and strengthening entrepreneurs in their four-month program.
- Workbar – They believe that your best work requires concentration and a healthy dose of freedom to explore ideas amongst contemporaries. Workbar offers entrepreneurs an energetic, collaborative, and productive environment.
- Formlabs – Form 1, a low-cost, high-quality 3D printer, was created by a team of designers and engineers who were frustrated with the price of traditional 3D printing technology.
- BabbaCo – Each month, parents are delivered a BabbaBox filled with activities to do with their children including TV-Free Mornings, Sanity Saving Weeknight Activites, Purposeful Weekend Play, and Story Time Books.
- The Firebrand – True firebrands – people who disrupt, revolt, and challenge old conceptions – are encouraged to reshape inefficient industries via their own abilities for innovation and creativity. The in-house motto is: “Give to Downtown Las Vegas and it will give back to you”.
- Work In Progress – Funded by the Downtown Project, Work In Progress is attempting to fashion Downtown Las Vegas into one coworking space focused on learning, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
- Tech Cocktail – Stop by our headquarters and see our cool new office.
- Tabeso – Tabeso is an iPhone app that delivers event information from around the world and combines that data with social connections. Whether you’re looking for free plays in the park, or concerts, it is all right at your fingertips.
- Nihongo Master – Designed as an online social language learning experience, users score points and gain achievements for competing and collaborating with fellow language learners.
New York City
- TechStars NYC – The mentorship is intense and features hundreds of the most prominent entrepreneurs in the world. Only 1% of all applicants get into TechStars NYC, so if you do then you are among the elite.
- Dumbo Startup Lab – A synergetic and educational coworking hub for entrepreneurs, designers, and innovators who deal with all things tech- and web development-related.
- Challengage – A mobile app that allows companies to determine how candidates function on a team in terms of cultural fit while streamlining the overall interview process.
- Pickie – Your Pickie catalog, or personalized shopping magazine, is curated based on your interests, the people you follow, and the brands you love, and delivered daily to your iPad.
- 500 Startups – Operating on a three-tier platform of design, data, and distribution, 500 Startups has an impressive record leading tech startups to success while offering up to $250,000 in funding.
- Hatch Today – Formerly known as The Hatchery, entrepreneurs will delight in the world-class workspace with, elegant furnishings, top-of-the-line technology, and dynamic community.
- Mavatar – Mavatar is a smart shopping cart that operates across multiple sites and automatically applies all coupons available so you get the best deal.
- PivotDesk – They make it easy for startups and offices to handle payments, manage legal docs, and deal with the details that go along with sharing a work space.
- Fortify Ventures – An early-stage investment fund founded and managed by serial entrepreneurs and angel investors, that maintains a theme of serving as a founder-friendly fund.
- Canvas.co – Designed for creatives, freelancers, independents, and startups, Canvas.co is all about being part of something larger than yourself: a community.
- Tangere Technology – Users can view menu items, place their order, call the wait staff, and pay from within the Touch 2 Order app (T2O) that integrates with food service providers’ point-of-sale system.
- BestBequest – Powered by cloud technology, they offer the tools necessary to plan ahead for life changing events by safely storing sentimental items in the LegacyVault.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!