July 5, 2013
Startups and small businesses that operate remotely need to have the best team of employees. Since you don’t get to see your employees on a face-to-face basis, it’s important to hire people you can count on to do their jobs.
Here are five secrets to hiring a rockstar remote team for your startup:
1. Find the most passionate people. You know, the type of person whose entire face lights up when they begin talking about what they love? When creating your remote team, it’s important to find people who are passionate about what you do. You want employees who will wake up each morning excited and motivated to begin their work day. When you find a passionate person to add to your team, you will discover a new energy, which will contribute to the innovation and creativity of your business.
2. Similar values are important. If you want to have a team who goes above and beyond the rest, you need people who believe in your mission. One of the most important elements of a rockstar remote team is having a group of employees who will work hard to help your company reach success. In order for this to happen, you have to hire people with goals and values similar to yours. Remember, your team doesn’t have to be a cookie-cutter version of you, but they should be able to share a similar vision.
3. Search for strengths you desire. When creating a remote team of rockstars, you must search for talented people who possess the skills you desire. Take a moment to do an inventory of the strengths you need in order for your company to succeed. For example, do you need employees who are digitally-savvy as well as strong writers? Make sure you are spending time to look for talented people who fit the requirements of your positions.
4. Pay attention to their experience. While this is important for any employer who is bringing new people on board, it’s especially important for your remote team because you aren’t working with them face-to-face. Look for candidates who can illustrate their accomplishments through their experience and can tell a story of their career through their resume and portfolio. This will help you visualize what the candidate can do for your company.
5. Look for personalities that fit your culture. Even though you have a remote team, you can still have an excellent company culture. By looking through a cover letter or video interview, you can decide if a candidate’s personality fits your culture. Whether you’re looking for people with quirks who can still be very serious or a fun-loving group of employees, search for candidates who will emulate what your culture is all about.
When creating your remote team, always think about the future of your business. Ask yourself about the level of success you want your business to reach and the steps you’ll have to take to make those goals a reality. By taking the time to search for the right candidates for your business, you’ll begin to see the benefits of hiring a rockstar remote team.
What qualities do you look for when hiring remote employees?
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!