March 8, 2011
Heading to SXSW? If you want the real scoop on all the various sessions and happenings at SXSW Interactive, take a look at the new mobile web application Hit It or Quit It from Ascentium.
You know the routine. You’re scrolling through the event program and come to a session with an intriguing name and a great panel of speakers – there’s even that hilarious blogger that you like. But you get there and the moderator’s a windbag and the only thing clever about the session is its title. Even your favorite blogger looks embarrassed to be there. Now you’re in a panic and you wonder if it’s not too late to duck out and hustle to a better panel.
To limit future suffering, Ascentium came up with a novel solution in the form of a handy app. Hit It or Quit It allows you to give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down to the session that you’re attending as well as check to see in real-time how users are rating other sessions on your floor—and throughout the Austin Convention Center. So you know whether the session you’re headed to is a dud or not. Powered by Foursquare technology, Hit It or Quit It gives everyone a voice and benefits anyone who participates. Hit It or Quit It is optimized for iPhone and Android, and is available at hitorquitapp.com
- Voting – Is this a session to hit or to quit? What are the other attendees saying? Cast your vote.
- Find the buzz – Voting is open prior to each session (so you can see whether it’s generating pre-event buzz) until two hours after its close. Users are limited to a maximum of four positive or negative votes per session.
- Check-in with Foursquare – Check into each session and view who else is in the room with you.
- Map – Scan nearby sessions and see which ones are rating highest among users—and then find its location.
- Social – See what others are saying about the session via Twitter.
- Full SXSW Interactive Schedule – Browse the entire searchable interactive event program.
The Hit It or Quit It web app was built by Ascentium, an independent digital agency with fluency in experience design and technology architecture and integration. From the team:
Our belief in the marriage of creative and technology, designing and building, dreaming and executing defines everything we do. We believe that, increasingly, brands are recognized by what they do when people interact with them, and not just by what they say. That’s why we design and build smart, sophisticated, and relatable experiences that live and function across the ever-expanding digital ecosystem—from deep behind a corporate firewall to the palm of a person’s hand and everywhere in between.
You can meet some of the Ascentium team members at Sunday night’s Tech Cocktail SXSW Presented by LiveShare from Cooliris in Austin.
Disclosure: In accordance to the FTC Guidelines, we are disclosing that Ascentium is a paid sponsor of Tech Cocktail.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!