May 4, 2015
Atlanta is hot ya’all, and I’m not only talking about the temperature! The city is buzzing about its growing tech ecosystem. From Atlanta Tech Village to the Advanced Technology Development Center (ATDC), and Opportunity Hub (OHUB), local entrepreneurs have options of great spaces to build their startups.
Some of the success stories coming out of Atlanta include Yik Yak and MailChimp, but Steve Case is hoping to find more examples when he brings the Rise of the Rest tour to Atlanta on May 7th. This will be an exciting stop for the tour, where Case will be joined by Bridgette Beam (Google), David Cummings (Pardot and Atlanta Tech Village), Paul Judge (Pindrop Security and Monsieur), and David Hall (Revolution Ventures).
Rise of the Rest Tour is part of a national effort to shine a spotlight on one of the most important trends shaping the U.S. economy today. Silicon Valley is no longer the epicenter for tech innovation, and Atlanta is one of many cities investing in the growth of the local tech ecosystem.
The startup tour will include a visit to the offices of Yik Yak, SalesLoft, Cardlytics, and MailChimp. It will also include a stops at Atlanta Tech Village, OHUB, ATDC, and Ponce City Market. There will also be a tour of Atlanta’s Belt Line (Similar to New York City’s High Line) to discuss economic growth and urban redevelopment.
In addition to the visits, there will also be a pitch competition, where participants will meet young startups hustling to make it to the next level. Eight Atlanta-area startups will compete in a pitch competition to win a $100,000 investment from Case.
Startups participating in Atlanta’s Pitch Competition include:
- Partpic – Visual search technology for replacement parts
- Groundfloor – Lending club for real estate
- Cooleaf – Employee engagement software for top workplaces
- LocalRoots – Mobile marketplace for local farms to sell direct to consumers
- eCredable – Leverages alternative credit to connect “no credit” consumers to creditors
- Zyrobotics – Provide personalized technology that makes the world accessible to everyone
- Reveal Estate – Turbo Tax-like platform that empowers home buyers and saves them money *
- The Village Microfund Helps develop the economic landscape of low-income communities in the US.
During the tour, Case will be joined by Google for Entrepreneurs and UP Global as presenting partners for the tour. Rise of the Rest also has the support from both new and previous tour partners including: Salesforce for Startups, Engine, Startup Grind, Village Capital, and Seed Here Studio. Tech.Co is also a partner in this tour, and our cofounder Frank Gruber will be joining the tour.
*Winner of Tech.Co’s informal reader poll
Image Credit: Flickr/Jesse Budlong
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!