August 17, 2018
You take great photos, but if no one can find them, how can you hope to build a career as a photographer? With a proper photography website, you can show off the best of your work in style and attract new business.
One of the easiest ways to get your work noticed is by building a first-class photography portfolio website and the easiest way to do that is with a website builder. You might worry that a website builder could leave you with a dull, identikit site that no one will take seriously, let alone commission the site’s owner for work.
However, website builders are so advanced nowadays that you can create a stunning website in a matter of minutes. A great site will help get your name out there and grow your photography business.
Below, we run through which is the best website builder for you, and why building your own site is a better choice than using Flickr or Google Photos.
*Get 10% off with code ‘TECH10’
Wix Website Builder for Photographers
As a photographer, you know that time is money. And Wix will certainly save you on both. Constructing a website with Wix is super-quick, from signing up to picking a template to editing and publishing your site.
Wix also has fantastic website templates that give you the bones and structure of your site. The templates look clean and modern, too – having a great-looking site is important when you’re in a creative industry.
However, you’re not stuck with a set formula. You’ll be able to change almost every aspect of the template, thanks to Wix’s simple drag-and-drop editor.
One downside with Wix, however, is that you only get 20GB of storage to host photos. This should be enough to store several thousand photos, but given that other sites let you have unlimited storage, it’s not ideal.
Kick-start Your Photography Career with a Wix Website Now
- Good-looking templates to make your photos stand out
- Useful SEO assistant will help clients find your site
- Easy-to-install eCommerce plugins will help you sell your photos online
- No plan has unlimited storage
- You can’t change your template once you’ve published your site
Weebly Website Builder for Photographers
Like Wix, setting up with Weebly is quick and painless – you can be ready to publish in under 20 minutes, in most cases.
You’ll also find that Weebly offers fantastic-looking templates that you can swap back-and-forth between on a whim. It offers a remarkable selection of over 300 different apps and plugins, which can help add functionality to your site – making it seem more professional and helpful to potential clients.
However, Weebly is quite expensive – especially when compared to Wix. The cheapest plan starts at $8, compared to Wix’s $5. The most expensive Weebly plan comes in at $38 per month compared to Wix’s $25.
Create Your Dream Photography Website with Weebly
- Unlimited storage from $5 per month – great for hosting loads of photos on your site
- Tonnes of apps and plugins, such as Facebook Messenger, to help you communicate with customers
- The Weebly editor shows you exactly what your site will look like before you publish
- Expensive eCommerce – if you’re planning on selling your photos online, you’ll need to pay at least $25 for a decent online store
- Relatively limited choice of templates
Squarespace Website Builder for Photographers
If you want to build a brilliant-looking website above everything else, then Squarespace is ideal.
It only offers 90 or so templates, but they are all, without exception, fantastic-looking. They’re all developed in-house by Squarespace. They work seamlessly with any apps you add or any visual changes you make. They’re also all mobile-optimized, meaning that they will look great on a phone, tablet or a regular old PC.
Squarespace doesn’t offer a free plan, unlike Wix or Weebly. Instead you get a 14-day free trial, after which you’ll have to choose a package to sign up to.
These are a little bit pricier than Wix – the cheapest is $12 per month – but it does offer unlimited storage for your photos (Wix limits you to 20GB).
Squarespace's Great Templates Make Your Photos Pop
- The best website templates on the planet will help make your photos pop
- Easy-to-access and use SEO tools to help customers find your site
- Unlimited storage is on the cheapest plan will let you add loads of photos
- No free package, instead its a 14-day free trial
- Lacks some apps which could give you extra functionality
Get the perfect site for your photography business with Wix in under 20 minutes
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!