February 9, 2007
The Chicagoland chamber of commerce has set-up a pitch competition for aspiring entrepreneurs that will take place in a couple of weeks called the Chicagoland Fast Pitch Event. The event is part of entrepreneurship week USA and this will be the first time it is held. For all of you guys out there either starting a company or thinking about starting one this is your change to pitch your idea, get feedback from top entrepreneurs and VCs and possibly even win some money to get it all started. Check out the details below for more info!
When: Monday, February 26th from 3:30 PM – 8:00 PM
Where: Gleacher Center, 450 North Cityfront Plaza Drive, Chicago, IL
Who: Entrepreneurs, Students, VCs, Angel investors, all are encouraged to attend!
How: Register at chicagoeweek.com (Registration Deadline: February 22nd)
Entrepreneurs – can you pitch your business idea in three minutes or less? Here’s your chance to validate the potential of your business idea, meet people who can help you succeed, and possibly win up to $5,000! If you are interested in giving your FAST PITCH please submit your pitch in writing to [email protected] at the time of registration to pre-qualify for the competition (you will receive a confirmation once you have been pre-qualified).
Preparing your pitch.
Your pitch should open with a hook that captures attention and be limited to 700 words. Please include answers to the following six questions to qualify:
1. What is your technology, product or service? Briefly describe what you sell and the need it fulfills.
2. Who is your market? Briefly state who buys this product or service and the size of the market.
3. How do you expect to make money? Describe the source(s) of revenue and how you will sell.
4. Who is your competition?
5. What is your competitive advantage? How can your company provide this product or service better than the competition?
6. Who is behind the company? Share the background and accomplishments of you and your team. Explain how your background gives you credibility.
What you need to bring to Fast Pitch.
1. Your pitch. Please be prepared to hand out hard copies to the judges.
2. Passion. Judges expect energy and dedication from pitchers – Be creative and dress for success!
3. A Desire for Feedback. The Judges will give honest feedback on the potential of your business.
Howard Tullman, noted Chicago entrepreneur and founder of Experiencia (www.experiencia-world.com), kicks off the event at 3:30 PM with a keynote address, and the first round of the competition begins at 4:30 PM. Participants will be assigned to five different rooms by industry, including Information Technology, Business Products and Services, Life Sciences, Retail and Consumer Products, and Open Competition room. In each room, a panel of experienced entrepreneurs, investors, and industry experts will provide feedback and select a finalist to move on to the final round. The final round begins at 6:30 PM. Five finalists, one from each industry, will compete for up to $5,000. The judges will give feedback, and the winner will be determined by an audience vote. The event will conclude with a recognition ceremony, and networking reception.
This event made possible by the Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, University of Chicago, Illinois Institute of Technology, DePaul University, The Illinois Business & Investors Forum, the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, and the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!