September 12, 2012
This Friday, September 14, ten startups will pitch to the judges at CROWDSTART Las Vegas (CROWDSTART LV for short). The prize is a chance to pitch to the VegasTechFund and receive up to $500,000 in funding.
This is the second event of its kind, following CROWDSTART Los Angeles in July. It’s pegged as a “crowdsourced” competition because some finalists are picked by the community, and some by the judges.
The event is run by Crowdfunder, a crowdfunding website awaiting the implementation of the JOBS Act to allow startups to raise funding from non-accredited investors. For now, startups can only create profiles, and the CROWDSTART competitions help encourage them to do so.
Here are the ten Las Vegas finalists, chosen from over 200 applications:
- BakeSpace: A community of foodies who share recipes and cooking tips. Creators of Cookbook Cafe, an app for making your own cookbooks.
- Chexplore: A “bucket list” app that helps you figure out what to see, where to eat, and where to stay.
- Gabuduck: Creator of fun children’s apps that encourage them to read and sing.
- LaunchKey: Security software that aims to eliminate passwords: you just enter your email on any supported login page, get a notification on your phone, and click the login button.
- NeedTo: A marketplace where you post you needs, and get connected with individuals or businesses who can help.
- PoliticIt: Software that measures the digital influence of politicians with a score, like Klout. They have supposedly predicted over 200 elections with 87 percent accuracy.
- ShareTown: A marketplace that lets you share or rent items from your neighbors.
- tabeso: A platform for discovering events.
- Text Me Tix: A marketplace for last-minute tickets to events like theatre, comedy, or music.
- ThrdPlace: A crowdfunding website for local community projects.
Tech Cocktail’s very own Frank Gruber will be in attendance at the event on Friday as we look forward to announcing the winners of the startup competition.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!