September 27, 2011
CityPockets culled through the data from the ~200,000 deals stored in their daily deal wallet product to create this infographic illustrating some fun and interesting stats around the Daily Deal space. A few of the more interesting tidbits you’ll see in this infographic include:
- Within the top 10 daily deal providers, Groupon has over 85% user share.
- There’s a lot of overlap between Living Social users and Groupon users (daily deal buyers aren’t so loyal…)
- Almost half of all daily deal buyers use only 1-2 providers. The other half use upwards of 3.
- There are over 650 daily deal providers in North America.
- Men buy 30% more tanning and massage deals.
- Women have 28 deals on average; men have 20.
- Vouchers for gyms are among those redeemed closest to their expiration dates.
- About 1.2 billion dollars (so far) has been wasted by consumers who have lost or forgotten about their vouchers.
- 25% of daily deals re-sold on CityPockets’ secondary deal marketplace have made a profit (hint hint)
CityPockets is a 1-year old NYC-based startup co-founded by Cheryl Yeoh that combines a digital wallet (for storing and managing daily deal vouchers) with a secondary marketplace to help people sell existing vouchers or buy ones they’ve missed. Most useful, CityPockets alerts users of voucher expirations. They are funded by Great Oaks Venture Capital, which has invested in companies such as StubHub, CardPool and Trulia.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!