January 24, 2011
After much debate over the years (perhaps going all the way back to 2006), many of us in the DC tech community feel like it’s now a good time to create a new, monthly, in person, official DC Tech Meetup.
Modeled after NY Tech Meetup – a 16,000+ person behemoth lead by longtime Tech Cocktailer Nate Westheimer – we will begin hosting a monthly panel/presentation focused on technology development, venture creation and startup demos. In short, every month the DC Tech Meetup will serve the broader capital region by providing content and a stage for getting the word out about what is being hacked on in the area.
Further details are as follows:
- Tech Cocktail is the founding media sponsor and partner and will cover meetups (online at techcocktail.com, as well as with a live video stream) and assist in vetting and securing participating startups, panelists and presenters.
- Initial co-organizers are Justin Thorp, Zvi Band, Mike Mayernick, DJ Saul, and Frank Gruber. We’ll be adding some awesome female co-organizers to this sausage party asap!
- This is a meetup for web/mobile designers, developers and technology entrepreneurs.
- You can join the DC Tech Meetup here, and RSVP for the first meetup on March 1st here.
- We will host the DC Tech Meetup the first Tuesday of each month with limited exception.
- This is not to be confused with the quarterly DC Tech Cocktail events that have been happening in DC and across the U.S. since 2006. The Tech Cocktail events will continue to showcase local startups and tech innovations. See the full event schedule here (the next DC mixer is on Feb 2).
- ProudlyMadeinDC will help catalog area startups and assist in vetting and securing presenters, panelist and startups participants
- The DC Tech group in Facebook is a great place for letting people know what you’re working on and what industry news is relevant for review right now and will also be used to let people know about DC Tech Meetup speaking opportunities and other info.
- At the DC Tech Meetup you’ll be on your own to grab food/drinks with friends before or after.
- This is not a central calendar for events in the area – dctechevents.com is still a good place for that.
- We will limit our sponsorships for as long as we can. After this meetup grows to 200+ our venues will become expensive and we’ll need to raise operating funds via sponsors or meetup member dues.
It’s my personal mission to make the DC region a hub of innovation that attracts/retains tech talent and spawns great companies that change markets and the world. The co-organizers of the DC Tech Meetup share this same passion. If we can do anything to help, please let us know – your comments are welcome and appreciated.
Editor’s Note: This article was written by Peter Corbett, the founding organizer of DC Tech Meetup, CEO of iStrategyLabs and co-creator of DCWEEK. You can connect with him on Meetup, Twitter, Facebook or Quora.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!