December 13, 2012
Shopping in stores is overrated. Crumpled shopping list in hand, screeching Christmas music on the radio, and frazzled shoppers pushing their way to the checkout line – no, thank you. Here are some of the best online destinations for your holiday shopping. I hope you take advantage of them in your pajamas, drinking hot cocoa, or in other stereotypically merry ways.
- Amazon: Find gifts on the go with the Amazon Mobile app, which also lets you scan barcodes or take a picture in a store to see if Amazon has a better price. The Amazon Windowshop app is designed for tablets and browsing, with the same Amazon selection. And Amazon also has a holiday toy list.
- Facebook Gifts: A newly launched service to send actual gifts, not just digital cupcakes and balloons. Gifts include things like cookies and treats, charity donations, home decor, and more. Recipients enter their own shipping info, so it’s a very quick process.
- eBay: If you have time, bid on items on everyone’s favorite auction site. Check out their gift guide for some of the most popular buys. eBay has apps for most phones imaginable, including iPhone and Android.
- Fab: A selection of beautifully designed products, from mugs to jewelry to foosball tables. Available as an app for iPhone and Android.
- Google Shopping: Find discounts, create shortlists of products you like, and explore toys in 3D to decide if your kids might want them.
- Groupon: Groupon has a gifts section that helps you select the best gifts for your friends and family. And you can always give a Groupon gift card – with the slogan, “It’s the thought that counts double.”
- Gilt: Discounts on designer labels, from shoes to watches to home decor. Gilt also has curated gift suggestions. Available as an app for iPhone and Android.
- Catalog Spree: An iPad app featuring over 350 catalogs to browse, from brands like Lands’ End, L.L. Bean, Tory Burch, and Nordstrom. It has over half a million downloads.
- ShopSavvy: An app for iPhone, Android, and Windows that lets you scan barcodes to see if you can find better deals on items.
- Card Hub: A website to buy and sell gift cards, and make wishlists of gift cards.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!