Why Some of the Oldest Internet Tech is Still Reliable

November 3, 2017

5:00 pm

Email is older than the Internet itself. The first system resembling email was MAILBOX, which was developed at the Massachusetts Institute of technology in 1965. Over the years, email technology has evolved and email providers have added a number of new features. However, the overall concept and experience remain more or less the same. A lot of new Internet technology has been released since the first email provider. Social media only became a household word over the past decade.

Marketers often believe that newer technology is the future of their profession. However, email still stands head and shoulders above other marketing mediums.

Email Marketing Still Preferred Over Other Mediums

According to a poll by Mail Munch, 60 percent of digital marketers believe that email marketing outperforms social media. The other 40 percent didn’t have a preference either way. They merely said that email and social media are different.

Marketers have made strong cases for using email over other mediums. Here are some of the key benefits.

Exceptional Engagement Rates

I am often surprised by how many people praise Facebook and Twitter as platforms to connect with their audience. Engagement on these platforms is struggling and businesses have also seen a decline in interaction with a large bulk of their followers.

Emails are much more noticeable, so they are a much better way to get the attention of your followers. The average email open rate is 24.79 percent. It has also held steady in recent years as brands have taken new approaches to make their emails look less like spam.

Much Stronger Conversions

Getting customers to subscribe to your mailing list requires them to make a number of micro-commitments. You will also have help guide them through various phases of the buyer decision making process. By the time that you are ready to sell a product to them, they will be much more likely to convert than they would if you reach them directly over social media.

According to a study, email conversion rates are about 40 times as high as those on Facebook and Twitter.

“If you’re wondering why marketers seem intent on e-mailing you more and more, there’s a simple explanation: it works. E-mail remains a significantly more effective way to acquire customers than social media—nearly 40 times that of Facebook and Twitter combined (exhibit).

 

“That’s because 91 percent of all US consumers still use e-mail daily,1 and the rate at which e-mails prompt purchases is not only estimated to be at least three times that of social media, but the average order value is also 17 percent higher,” writes McKinsey author Nora Aufreiter.

Social Media Strategies Depend on Email Too

On its own, social media may not be the most effective for marketing. It is a form of interruption marketing, so it is very difficult to convert customers simply by referring them to your website.

Almost every marketing strategy that relies on social media also incorporates email it to the sales funnel. Marketers typically refer customers to a squeeze page to coax them into subscribing to an email list. They usually offer some incentive based on their demographic information from social media.

Read more tips on developing your email marketing campaign at TechCo

Did you like this article?

Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!

Sorry about that. Try these articles instead!

Rehan is a Business graduate, Entrepreneur and Content Strategist. He is passionate about writing stuff for startups. His areas of interest are digital business strategy, Tech, gadgets and apps.

  • Shares

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)
Startup_Mixology_300x250
.ME Tech.co search 300x600

Get personal with .ME

Make your domain name as unique and memorable as you are. Get creative, get .ME!