August 26, 2016
David Gardner is the founder and CEO of ColorJar, a Chicago-based creative tech agency. Before founding ColorJar, David was a professional basketball player and a founder of a social network in India. ColorJar specializes in branding and creating custom websites and mobile apps and has worked with everyone from Fortune500 corporations to venture-funded startups.
In this episode we cover:
- Why he decided to start an agency;
- What makes a great name and brand;
- How to approach building a new brand to cut through all the noise;
- Why user personas are better than talking about demographics;
- How the Chicago tech scene has changed in his 8 years since founding ColorJar;
- The surprising benefits of having a distributed team;
- Why employees and employers should date (contracting) before marrying (full time);
- Why he prefers to hire freelancers; and
- Why you should follow your instincts.
David’s Favorite Book: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
This post originally appeared on Tech In Chicago. Visit Tech In Chicago to listen to more interviews with Chicago’s top startup founders and venture capitalists.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!