October 30, 2014
Last month, Tech Cocktail joined startup and tech enthusiasts in welcoming Maria Thomas of SmartThings and Martin Ringlein of nvite in Crystal City at Disruption Corporation, home of Crystal Tech Fund.
An award-winning designer, developer, entrepreneur and angel investor; Martin most recently was at The White House as a President as a Presidential Innovation Fellow. Prior, Martin exited his first start-up through an acquisition deal with Twitter where he joined as their first Design Manager. Martin has extensive experience building and managing creative teams within startups, in-house and agency cultures. Currently, Martin is founder and CEO of nvite, a seed-stage event ticketing startup.
In rapid-fire format, he shared the top ten traits an entrepreneur should consider when starting up, building early teams, and building vision. Among them:
- Focus more on building great teams than on great product. “We are all in the talent acquisition business.”
- Know who you are. Know when you aren’t that thing anymore.
- Anyone can say what can’t be done. Find empowerment to do it anyway. Get us to “Yes.”
- Find the commonality in what your competitor is NOT doing. Be really good at the thing everyone else is really bad at.
- Be the next thing, or die trying. If you’re in a startup, do not do it part way. Do not hold back. Don’t save anything. Constantly reinvest. Constantly assume that you are building toward a huge success. Do not be cautious.
Check out the video here:
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!