May 18, 2015
One of the Slacks we highlighted, #Nomads, has since skyrocketed in popularity. They’ve managed to pass the 3,000 mark as they nurture and support a community of nomads across the globe. “Let’s kill lonely, together,” the invitation beckons.
#Nomads is the companion chat to Nomad List, Pieter Levels‘ guide for remote workers with a wandering habit. The guide provides the weather, monthly cost of living, air quality, and internet speed for major cities across the world. These stats are vital to the general quality of life for a nomadic geek.
Within the chat community, members can meet based on what city they are in or want to travel to. They exchange useful information, warn others of potential travel hazards, and point out sights you shouldn’t miss. According to Levels, the community has racked up some impressive stats:
4,160 daily messages posted
478 people reading daily
140 people posting daily
100,000+ messages posted in the last 30 days
Compare these numbers with other non-corporate, community building Slack communities:
User Experience Design 3230
free code camp 2751
The popularity of nomad work lends credit to how popular this Slack channel is. It’s quite an interesting take on building and managing a community. Check #Nomads out now, and peruse our other resources for remote workers and digital teams below:
- 10 Rituals for Remote Teams: How do you bond when you don’t share a workspace? Here are 10 suggestions from other distributed workforces.
- The Environmental Benefits of Remote Work: In honor of Earth Day, considering how you can change your commute for good.
- The Top 10 States with the Most Remote Workers: Where is it easiest to work from places where you feel most creative?
- 7 Free Tools for Digital Nomads: Including the aforementioned NomadList.
- Could Ron Swanson or Miranda Priestly Successfully Manage a Remote Team?: A fun look at fictional characters and their management styles. Do they have the right skillsets and managerial styles to successfully manage a remote team?
- Jason Fried Responds to Marissa Mayer’s Remote Work Policy at Yahoo!: In response to one real-life manager who did not appreciate the remote work policy, 37Signals analyzes the decision.
- More on Remote Teams: Thomas Knoll on The Hows and Whys: Hunter Walk inspired Thomas Knoll to talk about banning email within his distributed team, and we take a look at how to properly communicate when you’re spread around the world.
- From 2 to 34: Hiring a Remote Team for an Online Startup: The complete process for hiring a remote team for your startup.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!