June 12, 2015
Call it an event that’s bringing together tech, international startups, and culture. This past week through Sunday June 14th, the Northside Festival will help feature Dutch innovation, startups, and entrepreneurs.
“It’s all part of a great collaboration to strengthen ties between Brooklyn and Amsterdam. During our Northside Dutch Innovation Showcase, we will be bringing all Dutch talent together in an interactive experience so that Northside visitors can interact with some cutting-edge designs and tech products,” says Marjan Inbar Blumberg, Senior Economic Officer at Consulate General of the Netherlands in New York.
In addition to innovation and startups, the Northside Festival, which started on June 8th, also features culture, music, DJs, and Art & Design.
“Our participation this year will be much larger and cross-disciplinary than last year, showcasing the Netherlands’ creative alliances through art, technology, design and music. We have 10 Dutch startups showcasing their product, as well as exciting innovators and game changing creatives at the Festival,” says Blumberg.
Startups featured at this year’s event include ByBorre, Karma, IJsfontein, LAVA Lab, and RotterZwam. Blumberg says other special guests will include Kajsa Ollongren, Amsterdam’s Deputy Mayor and Neelie Kroes, and Netherlands’ Special Startup Envoy; they hope that their presence at this festival will also bring awareness to visitors about the history of dutch innovation.
“Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, the CD-ROM, the metronome and Python all have one thing in common: they are all rooted in Dutch innovation. Our presence is important to further draw attention to the Dutch’s dedication to becoming recognized as a major player in the global startup community, highlighting our country’s unwavering support for innovation. In the Netherlands, innovation is not conscious, it’s deeply embedded in our culture,” says Blumberg.
The Netherlands, especially Amsterdam, is becoming an enormous startup hub for tech companies and startups. It’s home to fintech company Adyen, which is valued at over $1 billion.
In addition to the panels and showcase, there are a number of other events that will help showcase Dutch Innovation and entrepreneurship:
- Keynote Speech: Northside Innovation of Neelie Kroes (Wythe Hotel Main Room)
- Heart of Europe Pitch Event: Swiss, Belgium and Dutch (Wythe Hotel Screening Room) – Learn about the innovative startups from all three countries. These like-minded European countries will come together for a lightning round pitch competition. The best entrepreneurs from each country will compete in front of a panel of seasoned judges.
- Graffiti artist Niels Shoe Meulman(Northside Art @Williamsburg Walks)
- Human Rights Tattoos (Amos Eno Gallery) – Community art project started by Dutch artist Sander van Bussel that aims to create awareness and underline the importance of human rights. Northside visitors will have the opportunity to have one letter from the universal declaration of human rights tattooed on their body.
- Northside International Music Night (Green Label Live at McCarren Park)
- Sevdaliza (5:40-6:05pm)
- Jacco Gardner (7:00-7:25pm)
- DJ Night (Cameo Gallery)
- Morelli Twins (late night)
- Screening and U.S. premiere of Wolflady (Wythe Hotel)
The festival ends on Sunday, June 14th. It takes place in McCarren Park on Lorimer Street in Brooklyn.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!