January 23, 2015
The St. Louis-based Prosper Capital was one of the first accelerators in the country designed exclusively to help women raise the capital needed to get their startups moving towards success. To date more than 220 female entrepreneurs have applied for the $50,000 investment award.
Recently Prosper began their Prosper Startup Accelerator, and this week they announced the first class of participants. Each member of the inaugural class will receive $50,000 in capital plus hands-on training, mentoring, and curriculum designed for follow-on capital success.
“We want to give women tools that will help them be more effective in the day-to-day world of entrepreneurship and venture capital,” says Dr. Mary Jo Gorman, Prosper Capital Managing Partner. “We also want to create a mechanism for more women to invest in the early stage entrepreneurship ecosystem.”
The inaugural class will run from January 20 to April 15 and will be housed in the T-REx startup co-working space in downtown St. Louis. Participants will also receive legal services, public relation assistance, as well as opportunities to pitch business leaders and clients.
The inaugural class includes:
- KiteReaders: KiteReaders designs, develops and distributes e-books and apps for children ages 3 to 8.
- Wondermento: Wondermento is building a new way to track your dog’s activity and to know what they are up to at all times digitally and through their hardware design.
- Bookalokal: Bookalokal is a marketplace for food entrepreneurs to list their services available for sale (out of their home) and to connect with customers looking for a unique dining experience.
- HealthyMe: HealthyMe platform design has five key elements to address the non- compliance issue and patients’ lack of resources to effectively manage their disease on a daily basis, the key problems of patients who have chronic disease.
- Champio: Champio is a platform on which a company’s employees compete to share the best/most relevant social media posts about the business.
- Smart Monitor: SmartMonitor created SmartWatch®, an intelligent wristwatch that continuously monitors movement, developed for people prone to epilepsy and seizure disorders.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!