September 11, 2014
Raleigh, it’s time to vote for your favorite startup! Tech Cocktail wants to showcase Raleigh-Durham’s top startups during our upcoming event on October 2nd. Tech Cocktail’s Mixer and Startup Showcase is a unique event where you hear about new startups while making important connections with industry leaders. Get your tickets, you won’t want to miss this event. . And don’t forget to vote NOW for your favorite startup!
Now for the fun part: Who is Raleigh’s Hottest Showcasing Startup? Let us know your thoughts by voting in this poll at the end of this post (ends at 6:00pm local time on the day of the event – get the official rules here). The winner will be announced live at the event and will receive recognition in the editor’s note of the weekly newsletter and added press recognizing the honor of being elected Raleigh’s Hottest Showcasing Startup, as well as a chance for a spot at this year’s national competition, Tech Cocktail Celebrate.
Who is Raleigh’s Hottest Showcasing Startup?
- 3DFS – In the search for sustainable energy, 3DFS Power Solutions was born. Since most energy that is generated is lost before it’s used, we have developed a holistic approach to conserving the energy that’s already been produced and maximizing its full potential. The problems plaguing our power grid date back to the discovery of electricity. In 1996 a mathematical discovery sparked the ideas that make our solution possible, but it wasn’t until 2010 that timing allowed 3DFS, LLC to come to fruition. Since then, countless man-hours have gone towards perfecting technology that will single handedly take us that much closer to energy independence, reducing our reliance on fossil fuels and leading us towards a greener tomorrow.
- <dev>tech academy – We’re trying to make a dent in three of the biggest problems facing the US today: unemployment, tech talent shortage, and the rising costs of higher education. We’re trying to address these problems with what we think is a pretty simple but effective model. Youth who can’t afford to go to college are faced with a much higher unemployment rate. On top of that, those who graduate with just a high school education on average will make $33,176. But a web development job can bring in a salary of over $80,000. That’s a big difference. If we can move people from the lower salary bracket into the higher salary bracket without them having to take on college debt, it will foster local economic growth. We’ll also be lending small companies a hand by providing long-term apprentices at no cost. At the end of the program when we place graduates in permanent positions, it will help companies fill the technical positions they need to be successful and scale. <dev>tech academy is a win-win-win.
- CrowdTunes – Music is critical to the success of a venue and owners tell us that current solutions fall short. At two-thirds of social venues, patrons have little to no control over the music. For the remaining locations, owners spend ~$5K to install a physical system, like a digital jukebox, or pay a nightly fee to a DJ or Band. CrowdTunes allows users to control the playlist without requiring a capital outlay from the venue. There is $1.2B spent on music across 600K US bars and restaurants. We will start in restaurants and bars and then expand to other venues, such as sports venues and retail locations. We will initially focus on college towns, since 18-35 year olds demand greater control over the environment and more social engagement. As of today, all revenue is driven by patrons purchasing credits through the user application; patrons spend ~$200/week on jukeboxes. Advertising and consumer behavior analytics will serve as an additional, high margin revenue stream in the future.
- Hostel Rocket, Inc.– Hostel Rocket is the first ever hostel only booking engine that enables people to find any hostel in the world from any device.
- LIKECHARITY – Non-profits spend over $48 Billion in the US each year acquiring donors. Non-profits have a good understanding of how much a donor costs them to recruit (an average of $0.20 on the dollar), yet campaigns often deliver mixed results and don’t scale predictably. Often organizations have an over reliance on outdated, increasingly inefficient, and difficult to track methods such as paper based direct mail and face to face.
- Smart Office Energy Solutions – Offices waste an obscene amount of energy – 50-70% according to most studies. This is a big problem, costing office energy payers nearly $300 BILLION each year. Unfortunately the vast majority of offices cannot adopt the existing approach to energy efficiency: building retrofits. Many office building owners can’t afford the major capital expense or long payback periods of retrofits and utility-paying tenants are literally prohibited from modifying their buildings. Smart OES provides the first energy efficiency and demand response solution for these neglected office occupants. Our solution is not embedded in the building – so it can be adopted by owners and tenants alike – and it pays for itself immediately through sustained, turnkey energy savings.
- Stealz, Inc. – 1. Businesses consistently miss out on engagement opportunities because the photos their customers upload are not “tagged” or associated with their brand. 2. When a business posts on their Facebook page, they only reach 16% of their fans unless they pay Facebook advertising fees. 3. A business posting on social media is 60% less effective at converting potential customers than when their patrons do it for them. 4. Businesses can’t collect consumer information by posting on their own social media.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!