April 9, 2015
Call it a crossroads between music, ideas, and entrepreneurship. RECESS is continuing its nationwide tour to help students connect with mentors, grow their businesses, hear from successful entrepreneurs and celebrate with an end-of-the-day concert.
“RECESS Pitch is a college ‘Shark Tank’ style competition that gives students the opportunity to take an idea and evolve it into a world changing startup. The RECESS Pitch Competition is stage and industry agnostic, looking for passionate students with exciting ideas, fledgling companies, or fully formed products/services,” says an excerpt from a press release.
The RECESS tour stops only last one day, but the event is broken into the four following parts to give students the combined experience of business, learning, networking, and entertainment:
- The Playground: “This is the place where students discover new ideas and establish new connections. For brands, it is an opportunity not just for exposure, but the chance to cultivate and build advocates and ambassadors,” reads an excerpt from the site, which shows that companies like Uber, Kind Healthy Snacks, University Beyond and others will join the playground.
- Study Hall: “Study Hall is not about lectures and note-taking, it’s about ideas and inspiration… here is where they share stories and stretch imaginations. Students leave empowered to blaze their own trails and inspired to define their own destinies,” reads the website.
- Pitch: “RECESS Pitch takes a non-traditional approach to the classic student business competition by placing an emphasis on ideas over business models and a belief that students benefit far greater from networking and exposure to investors, mentors, advisors than being handed a check,” says RECESS co-founder Jack Shannon.
- Concert: “This year our headlining artist is The Chainsmokers with up and coming hip hop act KYLE as support. Last year, the video for their song #SELFIE was one of the top 5 most watched videos on Youtube,” says Cadarette.
Students have the opportunity to pitch in-person at an event, if RECESS has a tour stop at their university. However, if their school isn’t on the list there is another way to apply.
“The pitch competition has two ways you can enter: Either by submitting for the competition that comes to the school; we select the top 5 and the finalist moves on or any student startup in the nation can submit online for an at large bid and we select the best ten,” says Colin Cadarette, who is runs marketing and content for RECESS.
Partners and Perks
“USA Network and RECESS will select the startup that exhibits THE MOST innovative use of technology and embodies the theme of empowerment to individuals. The network will reward the winning idea with $10,000, helping to erase the student debt of the aspiring entrepreneurs,” reads the press release.
The RECESS Field Trip
Cadarette also says the finalists move on to the RECESS Field Trip, which includes a weekend of events in the heart of the LA startup scene, Silicon Beach.
“Events include Opening and Closing Parties, Startup Office Tour, Speed Mentoring (speed dating with mentors), a Final Showdown/Awards Ceremony, and classic California lifestyle activities like beach yoga and paddleboarding,” says the press release referring to the RECESS field trip.
RECESS announced their tour schedule and will be visiting the following schools:
- April 10th- Georgetown University
- April 17th- Sacred Heart University – concert only
- April 23rd- Private Event
- April 25th – Private Event
- April 27th- Virginia Tech
- April 29th- University of Maine
- April 30th – UMASS Lowell
- May 1st – University of Maryland
- May 8th- Private Event
To learn more about the RECESS Experience, view the video below…. and use the #RECESStour hashtag to stay updated with the event:
Image Credit: Sample Gates at Indiana University by lynn Dombrowski/Flickr
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!