Reversible USB Cables Are Arriving – Here’s MicFlip

July 10, 2015

2:00 pm

The development and wide availability of USB Type-C sure is raising lots of interest in the tech world, not only because of how it will improve current technologies (it will allow for faster gadget charging than the current Micro-USB, for example), but also because of the impact it will have on the practicality USB cables will have.

With the current USB technologies, be it 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 or even Micro-USB, there is a 50% chance that people will plug a cable or a USB drive the right way at first try. As we all know too well, this can be quite frustrating and, in a more technical perspective, can even lead to hardware malfunctions (both from the cable/drive and the USB port) if that insertion is made with too much strength.

In order to solve this problem, there are some alternatives coming up while we await the arrival of the USB Type-C cable. I recently reviewed such an example, and this time I’ll bring yet another one. Dubbed as “the first fully reversible Micro USB cable”, MicFlip (developed by Winnergear) looked for crowdfunding on Indiegogo and, with more than 30 days to go in the campaign, has already reached the initial $6,000 goal.

micflip2

 

MicFlip features an ultra-strong braided nylon lead, a robust aluminum shell, and gold plated plugs to prevent corrosion. Therefore, rather than risk damaging components by accidentally forcing standard Type-A USB and micro USB plugs in the wrong direction, this cable can be seamlessly inserted at any of the two possible positions.

micflip1

 

This meets exactly what consumers want, at least according to a survey conducted by the company behind MicFlip. When asked what they wanted the most in terms of the development of USB cables, 75% stated that they wanted reversibility, while the remaining 25% went for more durable cables.

As the campaign has already reached its goal, production of MicFlip should be about to start. According to Winnergear, shipping will hopefully start in August, with the official deadline for that being September 1st. Be sure to give these cables a look and, if you want to, participate in MicFlip’s Indiegogo campaign for the opportunity of getting some perks.

Did you like this article?

Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!

Sorry about that. Try these articles instead!

25 y/o, born and living in Portugal. Majored in Biology, but tech and computers were always a passion. Wrote for sites like Windows.Appstorm and MakeTechEasier.

  • Shares

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)
Startup_Mixology_300x250