November 20, 2015
Finland in November: a time for sunbathing, nightclubbing, endless walks in the park…well perhaps not. But, the organizers of Slush do throw an excellent conference and, fresh off my first Slush experience, I thought I’d cover the good, the bad, and the ugly.
- Organization: The conference is very well organized. I knew exactly where everything was, exactly how to get there, and really have to tip my hat off to the organizers.
- Speakers Dinner: The conference had a really lovely Speakers Dinner, which was much more intimate than is often typical. I had a chance to make some wonderful connections, and really tip my hat off to Jaakko and Petri, the Speaker organizers.
- The Food Inside the Venue: Fresh off the Dublin Web food experience, Slush’s Kimchi Wagon was a revelation, and the free brewed coffee at Futurice Café was a lifesaver.
- The Attractions: Beyond the conference itself, Helsinki felt pretty sleepy in November. Very few people were on the streets and it didn’t feel like there was much to explore outside the Conference events. Of course, perhaps I did not look hard enough because….
- The Weather: The weather was just horrid. To be fair, coming to Helsinki fresh off three days in Tel Aviv may have colored my opinion. Nonetheless, it was a consistent, wet cold and the sun did not shine once in four days. I would love to experience the city, and the rest of Finland, in more accommodating weather.
So, overall I was very pleased with, and impressed by, my Slush experience. If they eventually decide to hold it in the summer, I can see it becoming my favorite conference of the year.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!