September 23, 2012
Tonight, seven startups will take the stage at the Seattle Center to showcase their social good and green startups to the world.
They are graduates of Fledge, a new eight-week incubator in Seattle. Half business-plan builder and half hackathon, the program offered $7,000 in funding to get the startups going.
Founder Michael Libes wants to help propel the socially and environmentally conscious movement in Seattle. He used to teach entrepreneurship at the Bainbridge Graduate Institute, which offers an MBA in sustainable business. Meanwhile, the University of Washington hosts the Environmental Innovation Challenge, a student competition around clean technology. And next month, HUB Seattle is bringing social enterprises together to work in one large building in Pioneer Square called the Center for Impact and Innovation. There’s also the #SocEnt Weekend meetup and the Social Innovation Showdown competition in October. “It’s an incredibly green city,” says Libes.
Here are the seven Fledge startups:
- BURN Manufacturing: Creates cooking stoves for developing countries that minimize smoke and decrease fuel usage.
- Taya Sola: Provides materials and training so people in need can create solar reading lights and other solar products.
- Trash Backwards: An app that helps you figure out creative things to do with unwanted items. Previously, the founders have worked on projects showcasing plastic waste on beaches and making art out of trash.
- Local Tools: A platform that lets anyone set up a tool lending library in their community and create a website around it.
- Personify: A website for finding volunteer opportunities in your community.
- Community Sourced Capital: A platform that helps businesses raise funding and loans from their community and customers.
- HERE: Helps you recreate your community online.
Fledge plans to increase the funding offered and run programs twice per year.
Fledge was a showcased company at our Tech Cocktail Seattle mixer in September.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!