December 31, 2014
In 2014, Tech.Co joined the Miami Tech community by opening one of our headquarters in the Magic City. And what a great year it has been for us in the 305. Our editorial team has been covering all the news coming out of South Florida. We also hosted seven events in Miami where we showcased Miami’s newest startups, and featured successful entrepreneurs like Andres Moreno, CEO of Open English and Melody McCloskey, CEO of Style Seat.
In an effort to look at some of the things we wrote in the past year about South Florida, we’ve highlighted the top stories from our site. Take a look at the Tech.Co top stories of 2014 in the region to see what people were reading in the last year:
10. CEO of Brigade Matt Mahan, On How to Empower Millennials for Civic Engagement – In November, Matt Mahan became CEO of Brigade Media and spoke to Tech Cocktail about the future of the company and empowering Millennials through technology.
9. Founders Share Lean Startup Lessons For Success– Lean Startup methodology represents the order of operations touted by most startup mentors today, so it’s always beneficial to review the tenets.
8. Florida-Based Startup Magic Leap Raises $542M Led by Google– In October, one of the largest venture-capital deals made by Google was announced: a whopping $542 million invested in this round.
7. Accelerate Your Startup: Apply for Miami’s Venture Hive Accelerator- Venture Hive announced in November that they are accepting applications for the Winter 2015 Accelerator class. The class has been chosen and announced.
6. Video Game Development Firm, Shiver Entertainment, Moves to Miami– Back in May, video game development firm led by industry veteran and former Zynga and EA Tiburon executive, John Schappert, announced their move to Miami.
5. Miami-Based SWOL Joins Mobile-First Accelerator Momentum in San Francisco– In August, SWOL (Soccer Without Limits) was chosen to be part of a new accelerator and fund, Momentum in Silicon Valley.
4. 5 Damn Good Reasons to Startup in Orlando– We cover Orlando’s buzzing tech scene, which is attracting startups from Silicon Valley as more investment is being pumped to into building a downtown for entrepreneurs.
3. FIU Names Ex-Constant Contact Regional Director as Knight Innovator in Residence – Alex de Carvalho, a social media professional with extensive involvement in South Florida’s tech community, has been named the FIU Knight Innovator in Residence.
1. Angel Investor Giuliano Stiglitz: Latin American-Focused Startups Should Look to Miami– Giuliano Stiglitz is an angel investor and entrepreneur who has been very active in Miami and Latin America. Tech Cocktail interviewed him as part of the Miami Investor Series, which has been a huge success.
Thank you to all our local partners, including The Knight Foundation, .CO and Refresh Miami. It has been truly a wonderful year!
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!