December 14, 2012
At Startup America’s annual meeting last Friday, the Texas startup scene was on display with a pitch competition and announcements from Startup Texas. Heyride, a carpooling startup from Austin, took home the prize.
Startup America, which has affiliate organizations in 30 states, chooses a different state each year for its meetings. This year was Texas’s turn, and they welcomed a few hundred people to the Cowboy Stadium in Dallas. Startup Texas took the opportunity to announce the Startup Texas passport, a coworking space membership for startups that includes access to over 10 coworking spaces around the state.
As for Startup America, they have over 11,000 registered startup members, up from 2,000 at the end of 2011. They plan to launch more states in 2013, and help emerging startup scenes expand and improve. “The great thing about startups and those startup ecosystems is it’s not a zero-sum game,” says Derek Holt, Startup America’s managing director of national partnerships.
Startup America will also have a presence at the International CES’s Eureka Park, an area dedicated to early-stage electronics companies. And they will fly out to SXSW for another Startup America Live event.
Here are the eight other Texas startups that gave two-minute pitches last Friday:
- Engine (Dallas): Helps you organize your inbox by displaying past email interactions with a contact, documents, and relevant social media information.
- iLumi (Dallas): Smart lightbulbs that can be powered by a smartphone app. Currently raising money on Indiegogo.
- Pay Tap (Dallas): Software for online retailers to allow customers to split purchases online.
- RecycleMatch (Houston): Software that helps companies keep track of their recycling and make more money from it.
- Hurl (San Antonio): An innovative app that allows you to “hurl” videos from your phone to a nearby screen.
- SwebApps (San Antonio): A web development studio with a focus on mobile and social apps.
- Socialyzer (Dallas): Software that analyzes your social media data and provides suggestions on how to improve your reach and engagement.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!