February 16, 2015
In American History we’ve seen 43 different people sworn into office to lead our country. Of those 43 individuals, eight of them were either entrepreneurial in their own way or founded their own businesses.
- Abraham Lincoln: Owned a general store and ran his own law practice
- Harry Truman: Opened a men’s clothing store
- Jimmy Carter: Managed a peanut farm
- Franklin D. Roosevelt: Founded the Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation
- Herbert Hoover: Launched a mine engineering business
- George W. Bush: Invested in the Texas Rangers
- George H.W. Bush: Founded Bush-Overby Oil Development Company
- Warren G. Harding: Purchased a struggling newspaper called The Marion Star
We elect our leaders because they’re the most inspiring, strong, or intelligent candidates from among us. In return for giving them our vote of confidence, the US presidents in turn give us confidence; they give us the strength and inspiration to follow our dreams.
Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in our busy, day to day schedules and forget that following our dreams and passions is inherently entrepreneurial in nature. I’d even go so far as to say that an entrepreneurial mindset is something ingrained into the very founding of our country.
So, this President’s Day we wanted to provide you with 20 quotes from our past leaders that might help you in whatever entrepreneurial venture you may embark upon:
- “If I had eight hours to chop down a tree I would spend six hours sharpening my axe.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “I walk slowly, but I never walk backward.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Once you say you’re going to settle for second, that’s what happens to you in life.” – John F. Kennedy
- “Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.” – John. F. Kennedy
- “I studied the lives of great men and famous women, and I found that the men and women who got to the top were those who did the jobs they had in hand, with everything they had of energy and enthusiasm and hard work.” – Harry Truman
- “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.” – John Quincy Adams
- “Tell the truth, work hard, and come to dinner on time.” – Gerald R. Ford
- “Neither a wise man or a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run him over.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
- “We must dare to be great; and we must realize that greatness is the fruit of toil and sacrifice and high courage.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- “If you live long enough, you’ll make mistakes. But if you learn from them, you’ll be a better person. It’s how you handle adversity, not how it affects you. The main thing is never quit, never quit, never quit. – Bill Clinton
- “Associate yourself with people of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for ’tis better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington
- “In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” – Thomas Jefferson
- “When angry, count ten before you speak; if very angry, a hundred.” – Thomas Jefferson
- “Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in.” – Andrew Jackson
- “Piling up material goods cannot fill the emptiness of lives which have no confidence or purpose.” – Jimmy Carter
- “Yours is not the task of making your way in the world, but the task of remaking the world which you will find before you.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.” – Calvin Coolidge
- “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” – Barack Obama
- “If you’re walking down the right path and you’re willing to keep walking, eventually you’ll make progress.” – Barack Obama
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!