Since 2008, Innovation Works’ AlphaLab has offered 5-month programs in Pittsburgh to mentor and kickstart startups, with office space and $25,000 in funding.
Here are the 6 startups (all based in Pittsburgh):
- HeadRight Games: A game development studio that creates games for a variety of devices, based on a game engine that makes creation faster. Their first title is adventure game Amusement World!, or “Willy Wonka meets Disney world.” Led by 7-year game professional Matt Rodgers, who previously worked at Nintendo and Microsoft.
- Insurance Zebra: A website to compare car insurance – the more information you input, the better the estimates are. Cofounded by insurance professional Adam Lyons, serial entrepreneur Jordan Messina, and “data nerd” Cal Leeming.
- Accel Diagnostics: Creators of pScreen, technology for analyzing proteins and biomarkers at the point of care that generates results in less than 30 minutes. Currently focusing on congestive heart failure. Cofounded by biomedical engineering scientist Dr. Alberto Gandini and chief marketing officer Salman Mukhtar.
- Bracketz: Marketing tools to drive engagement for brands with interactive, tournament-style campaigns. Made by WonDay Inc. Cofounded by Cyndi and Alen Knapic.
- RoommateFit: Roommate matching software for universities that focuses on personality traits. Based on PhD research and used at Ohio University. Led by recent University of Pittsburgh grad Justin Mares.
- ActivAided Orthotics: Creators of ActivAided Recovery, a body suit that helps patients recover from injuries by encouraging better physical habits. The team includes materials science/biomedical engineering grad Kelly Collier, assistant professor of physical medicine and rehabilitation Gary Chimes, and former Boeing and IBM employee Josh Weiner.