December 3, 2014
Tech Cocktail is a Media Partner during Sime MIA 2014
The team behind Sime MIA has outdone itself this year. They brought a group of eclectic and powerful innovators from across the globe to South Florida. From political activists to inventors, the audience left the conference invigorated by an infusion of knowledge on the role technology plays in impacting society within various industries.
Great ideas were shared but here are a few memorable quotes and takeaways from the conference:
1. “We have forgotten how to disconnect”
Carl Honoré, ambassador of the Slow Movement, reminded us that we are “addicted to speed” and we have forgotten to live in the moment. This has a direct impact on our creativity.
2. “We are in a room full of tech entrepreneurs who can potentially empower people kept away from information”
Lilia Luciano, talked to political activist Adriana López Vermut about the impact social media in the political struggle in Venezuela, led by Vermut’s brother Leopoldo Lopez.
3. “We were ready to kill ourselves, before going back to North Korea”
Yeonmi Park, North Korean refugee, on her courageous journey to leave an oppressive government.
4. “Encryption is not a crime, it’s a human right!”
Nico Sell, founder of Wickr on how to keep your privacy in the internet.
5. “Can accelerators create success factory? No, we can identify talent and help them in the development of their ideas”
Gonzalo Costa, cofounder of NXTP Labs, shared his thoughts of the role of accelerators in Latin America.
6. “We [Miami] need some failures, then we can talk about our success stories”
Mark Kingdom, investor at Quixotic Ventures, discussed what Miami’s entrepreneurial community needs to attract more investment.
7. “Fighting, like business, is about not using excessive energy”
Pedro Valente, cofounder of Jiu Jitsu academy Valente Brothers, on how martial arts is like starting a business.
8. “Future of media marries great content by humans with algorithms by machines”
Paul Walborsky, CEO of Gigaom, on the role content plays building a strong online media company.
9. “Photography is going to be the second largest content revolution on the internet after email”
Bernardo Hernandez, Head of Flickr, on the role photography plays when people communicate online today.
10. “Machines won’t take over our lives, they will enable us to focus our lives in more interesting things”
Chris Boos, CEO of Arago, on managing growth.
11. “The future is the most powerful drug in the world”
Professor Micael Dahlen on how we’ve become addicted to “the next big thing” and how if affects product launches today.
12. “Comic books & video games are the best weapon to fight extremism and offer alternative heroes” Suleiman Bakhit, Jordanian social entrepreneur.
13. “Entrepreneurialism is in Miami’s blood”
Mayor of Miami Beach, Phillip Levine, welcomed an audience of entrepreneurs to Miami Beach.
14. “As we continue to live our lives more digitally, we have to ensure that everyone has equal access.” Alberto Ibargüen, President and CEO of The Knight Foundation.
15. “Indifference is never an option”
Elie Weisel, founder of Oslo Freedom Forum, on the role entrepreneurs play in providing opportunities and information to people who don’t have access.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!
Sorry about that. Try these articles instead!