If you're an iPhone or iPad user, you'll find yourself logging in to sites and services all the time. That's why a password manager for iPhone or iPad users is essential – password managers can keep your accounts safe.
You need lengthy, complex passwords to keep your online accounts secure, but it's poor practice to repeat passwords and no one should need to remember all of them.
Tech trends come and go, but just one has been increasingly important as long as I've been reporting on the tech industry: Online security. The biggest companies saw huge scandals in 2018, from Facebook's Cambridge Analytica to the privacy-invading software bug that affected Google+ users.
Your smartphone isn't going to make headlines if it's hacked, but keeping it secure is probably a lot more important to you personally. And with the worst passwords of all time holding strong – “123456” and “password” remained at first and second place as of the last count – we all need to start taking better care of our account information. Yes, even those of us with iPhones or iPads.
In this article, we list the top options and explain what makes each one a contender for the best password manager for iOS and MacOS.
If you want to see the best (and worst) password managers, side-by-side, take a look at our handy comparison table.
- 1Password— comfortably the best password manager we've tested, with a stunning iOS app
- Dashlane — fast, secure, and feature-rich, this manager has just one hitch: the price tag
- LastPass — a more stripped-down service for purists who want a secure, inexpensive option
- Sticky Password — offers strong, flexible core functionality and a password strength checker
Tech.co took the time to test the leading brands, and we found that 1Password is the best overall, closely followed by Dashlane. If you're re-evaluating your iPhone security measures, our comparison table below ranks the competition, breaking out the most important features to consider.
All the options listed are worth taking your time to consider, and any single one of them is certainly better than going without a password manager at all. 1Password and Dashlane squeezed out the popular LastPass by a narrow margin, but, depending on your needs, Sticky Password may be right for you as well.
Our scoring is based on independent tests and assessments of features, ease of use and value.
Local Storage Option
Password Generator Function
A password manager can create secure, complex passwords for you. You won't need to remember them yourself.
Live Chat Support
Cost per year
Overall cost per year for a single user.
Click to Try
BEST ON TEST
- 30 day Free Trial
- Even better than LastPass in our tests
- Local storage makes saving changed passwords more reliable
- Large number of secure note templates for storing sensitive information
- Very well-designed app
- No automated password changing feature
- Desktop app seems superfluous
- No camera integration on mobile
- Dashlane can automatically change multiple passwords at once
- Easy-to-understand security assessment of your password quality
- Auto-saves online receipts
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) included
- The free tier doesn’t backup your database to the cloud
- Very expensive compared to competitors such as 1Password and LastPass
- Makes your passwords available where you want them: in your browser.
- Detects when you’re using the same password on multiple sites.
- Available on all major browsers and on multiple sites.
- Connection issues, though rare, can make password changes maddening.
- Password changing feature is very manual the first time round.
- Very well priced
- The automatic login features are fantastic
- Wide browser support
- Illogical saved bookmarks feature
- Desktop app design is outdated and can be sluggish
Tech.co is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through the links on our site, we may earn a commission from the retailers of the products we have reviewed. This helps Tech.co to provide free advice and reviews for our readers. It has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews. Click to return to top of page