The best password manager for iPhones and iPads doesn't come from Apple – in our view, the best choice you can make is LastPass, closely followed by the likes of Dashlane and 1Password.
Yes, Apple's own iCloud Keychain is a great tool for remembering passwords on your iPhone. But, this is optimized for Apple-only devices. If you need something to log you in securely, whether you're doing so via your iPhone, a work PC running Windows or (whisper it) a future Android device you may one day want to move to, then a third-party password manager so much more flexible.
These days, we're working remotely and relying on our laptops and phones to keep our data secure more than ever. In this article we'll list the top options for securing your personal information and explain what makes each one a contender for the best password manager for iOS and MacOS.
If you want to see the best (and worst) password managers, side-by-side, take a look at our handy comparison table.
- LastPass — The complete market-leading package: Secure, flexible, well-priced
- 1Password— tktktk, with a stunning iOS app
- Dashlane — fast, secure, and feature-rich, this manager has just one hitch: the price tag
- NordPass — a good value new player in the market from VPN security specialists
- Sticky Password — offers strong, flexible core functionality and a password strength checker
Tech.co took the time to test the leading brands, and we found that LastPass is the best overall, closely followed by Dashlane. If you're re-evaluating your iPhone security measures, our comparison table below ranks the competition, breaking out the most important features to consider.
All the options listed are worth taking your time to consider, and any single one of them is certainly better than going without a password manager at all. 1Password and Dashlane squeezed out the popular LastPass by a narrow margin, but, depending on your needs, Sticky Password may be right for you as well.
Local Storage Option
Password Generator Function
A password manager can create secure, complex passwords for you. You won't need to remember them yourself.
Live Chat Support
Overall cost per year for a single user.
Cheapest available business plan
Click to Try
BEST ON TEST
- Free tier available
- Makes it super easy to securely log into your accounts from a web browser
- Detects when you’re using the same password on multiple sites.
- Available on all major browsers, iOS and Android
- Connection issues, though rare, can make password changes maddening.
- Password changing feature is very manual the first time round.
- 30 day Free Trial
- Even better than LastPass in our tests
- Local storage makes saving changed passwords more reliable
- Large number of secure note templates for storing sensitive information
- Very well-designed app
- No automated password changing feature
- Desktop app seems superfluous
- No camera integration on mobile
- Dashlane can automatically change multiple passwords at once
- Easy-to-understand security assessment of your password quality
- Auto-saves online receipts
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) included
- The free tier doesn’t backup your database to the cloud
- Very expensive compared to competitors such as 1Password and LastPass
NordPass is one of the most affordable password managers on the market costing $1.99 per month or $23.88 per year when paid annually, or even lower ($1.49 per month, or $17.88 per year) when paid for two years at a time. The company is known for its popular VPN service, used by 14 million users worldwide.
So how is the company with password management? It's not the most advanced password manager on the market as it lacks some features, but it's simple to use and works on MacOS devices, as well. It's not the best password manager on the market but it's certainly a good option.
It also comes with a few fun and useful features. Perks of the service include a Password Health tool, which finds three different types of poor passwords: Passwords that are weak themselves, passwords that have been previously used already, and passwords that have been found to be compromised online.
A Data Breach Scanner function also checks for compromised data. Password storage is unlimited, as is the number of devices that can be synced to an account, although only six devices can be used simultaneously.
NordPass for iPhone Features
The NordPass password manager iOS app stores passwords, autofills them when needed, and syncs across other devices connected to your NordPass account.
The app is straightforward and will let you easily log into different accounts on your iPhone. However, you aren't able to change the passwords for your accounts from within the NordPass app. Instead, you'll need to generate a password in the NordPass app and then paste the new password into the app.
You'll be able to autofill credit card details as well as usernames and passwords, saving users time at online checkouts. Plus, one unique benefit to this app is its Optical Character Recognition (OCR) scanner: The feature can identity and reproduce text found in a digital image, allowing users to convert a physical digits and numerals, like credit card numbers or other important notes, into a copyable, storable electronic text.
NordPass App Store Rating
The NordPass iOS app has a 4 star rating on the App Store, with 240 ratings total. It requires requires iOS 13.0 or later, and is available for iPad as well, requiring iPadOS 13.0 or later.
Check out our full NordPass review for more
- Offers a completely free version
- Easy to understand UI
- Neat extra features such as a data breach scanner
- Slick setup
- Can't change passwords for accounts in the NordPass app
- Lacks some features such as a failsafe switch
- Very well priced
- The automatic login features are fantastic
- Wide browser support
- Illogical saved bookmarks feature
- Desktop app design is outdated and can be sluggish
Tech.co is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through the links on our site, we may earn a commission from the retailers of the products we have reviewed. This helps Tech.co to provide free advice and reviews for our readers. It has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews. Click to return to top of page