Two of the biggest brands in the VPN world are NordVPN and ExpressVPN. We think NordVPN is better than ExpressVPN, as it comes out on top in our head-to-head assessments – but they're both strong choices.
One of the main reasons we'd recommendNordVPN over ExpressVPN is the sheer price difference. While ExpressVPN costs around $8 per month on its cheapest plan, NordVPN's regular discounts and deals can cut it down to just $2.99 per month.
If you're concerned about your online privacy – and in this world of data-snooping, hacks and breaches, you should be – then a VPN (Virtual Private Network) is essential. By masking your activities online, your personal data and your computer are considerably safer against hackers and snoopers.
Either NordVPN or ExpressVPN would be a great choice for a personal VPN to protect your internet privacy. Read on to find out why we rate NordVPN that little bit better, plus learn which one is best for you.
In This Guide:
- ExpressVPN vs NordVPN: Head to Head – Both ExpressVPN and NordVPN are well known and highly rated in their field, but we pitched them against each other, and found that NordVPN came out on top.
- NordVPN vs ExpressVPN: Connection Speed – A VPN can really be a drag on your internet speeds, with the re-routing of your traffic causing a significant hit on your downloads. We found that NordVPN has a minimal impact on regular speeds.
- NordVPN vs ExpressVPN: Reliability – Both VPNs are both dependable, offering the best protocols and connections available for VPNs, with a huge number of servers to help guarantee uptime.
- VPN App Usability: NordVPN vs ExpressVPN – While each service’s apps don’t support the exact same platforms, they do both cover every major platform on desktop and mobile. Here, we run down which platforms you’ll be able to use each popular VPN service on.
- VPN Features Compared – The more features a VPN has, the more options it gives you as a user. In our testing, we found that Express VPN boasted an awesome suite of features for users.
- Security and Encryption: ExpressVPN vs NordVPN – Both services offer military-grade encryption, and have continued to develop their security practices with ongoing audits.
- Logs and Privacy – Privacy is vital when it comes to VPN usage – you don't want your online activities compromised due to poor security. We found that both NordVPN and ExpressVPN did an excellent job here.
- Global Server Coverage – Both services offer thousands of different servers located across dozens of countries around the world.
- Simultaneous Connections – ExpressVPN lets users connect up to five devices at a time, while NordVPN lets them connect six.
- ExpressVPN vs NordVPN Torrenting Tests – Both services offer the speeds, leak protection, and no-logging policies needed to securely torrent over a VPN.
- ExpressVPN vs NordVPN with Netflix – Sadly, in our tests, neither service was able to successfully connect to Netflix, which may be a red flag for some video-streaming fans connecting overseas.
- ExpressVPN vs NordVPN: Gaming Test – Both services can support all your gaming needs without sacrificing speed to a noticeable amount.
- ExpressVPN vs NordVPN price comparison – A good VPN needn't cost the earth. You can make a substantial saving with either of these VPNs, especially if you commit to a year. Still, NordVPN is notably cheaper than ExpressVPN.
- Customer Support – Both services offer a robust online help center as well as email and live chat support for those who need to talk to a customer service team.
- Conclusion – It's NordVPN that takes the fight for best VPN of the two, although ExpressVPN is certainly no slouch.
- FAQs – Finally, we ask and answer a few commonly asked questions about the benefits and uses of VPNs.
Our scoring is based on independent tests and assessments of features, privacy settings, ease of use and value.
No. of Devices
No. of Servers
Zero Data Logging
Ease of Use
Help & Support
Value for Money
Click to find the latest offers, deals and discounts from the VPN provider
Fast, effective, and one of the best
Superb features, but at a higher cost
$2.99 (3-year plan)
$8.32 (1-year plan)
|See Deals||See Deals|
- Fast and effective
- Packed with features
- Excellent value
- Not the most intuitive VPN for absolute beginners
- Couldn't unblock some streaming services when tested
- Assumes some technical knowledge
- Easy to use with great support
- Extensive features
- Smart location selection
- Inconsistent speeds
- Pricey on per-month plan
For anyone looking for a well-rounded VPN with a good suite of features, either ExpressVPN or NordVPN are excellent choices.
However, we rate NordVPN highest, thanks to its uncompromising download speeds, robust privacy features and simplicity to use. It's also stuffed full of brilliant features, aimed to make your VPN experience as flexible as you'd like.
ExpressVPN is a worthy runner up, and while it has a good suite of features, it lacks the raw speed of NordVPN, and isn't quite as an attractive value for money proposition.
Tech.co is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through the links on our site, we may earn a commission from the retailers of the products we have reviewed. This helps Tech.co to provide free advice and reviews for our readers. It has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews. Click to return to top of page