If you're concerned about your online privacy – and you should be – then a VPN (Virtual Private Network) is essential. By masking your activities online, your personal data and your computer are free and safe from hackers and snoopers.
Two of the big name brands in the VPN world are NordVPN and ExpressVPN. We think NordVPN comes out on top, but they're both strong choices.
Read on to find out which one is best for you.
In This Guide:
- Express VPN vs NordVPN – Both Express VPN and NordVPN are well known and highly rated in their field, but we pitched them against each other, and found that NordVPN came out on top.
- NordVPN is Faster than ExpressVPN – A VPN can really be a drag on your internet speeds, with the re-routing of your traffic causing a significant hit on your downloads. We found that NordVPN has a minimal impact on regular speeds.
- Express VPN Has a Great Set of Features – The more features a VPN has, the more options it gives you as a user. In our testing, we found that Express VPN boasted an awesome suite of features for users.
- Express VPN and NordVPN Both Handle Your Privacy Well – Privacy is vital when it comes to VPN usage – you don't want your online activities compromised due to poor security. We found that both NordVPN and Express VPN both did an excellent job here.
- NordVPN is the Easiest to Use– While both VPNs are well suited to beginners, it's NordVPN that really goes out of its way to ensure that users of all abilities can find their way around.
- Pricing – A good VPN needn't cost the earth. You can make a substantial saving with either of these VPNs, especially if you commit to a year.
- Verdict – It's NordVPN that takes the fight for best VPN of the two, although Express VPN is certainly no slouch.
|Ease of Use|
|Help & Support|
|Number of servers||1500||3605|
|Built-in Speed test||Yes||No|
|Number of Devices||3||5|
|Cheapest monthly price||$8.32 (1-year plan)||$2.99 (2-year plan)|
|See Discounts||Click for Deals||Click for Deals|
Please scroll to view table on mobile devices
- Fast and effective
- Packed with features
- Excellent value
- Not the most intuitive VPN for absolute beginners
- Couldn't unblock some streaming services when tested
- Assumes some technical knowledge
- Easy to use with great support
- Extensive features
- Smart location selection
- Inconsistent speeds
- Pricey on per-month plan
Tech.co is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through the links on our site, we may earn a commission from the retailers of the products we have reviewed. This helps Tech.co to provide free advice and reviews for our readers. It has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews.