With NordVPN in the headlines for all the wrong reasons, thanks to an unfortunate data breach, is it still the right VPN to choose? If you're considering an alternative, then PureVPN is one of the leading names to consider. We pit NordVPN against PureVPN to see which comes out top.
NordVPN recently came clean about a data breach that occurred on one of its servers back in March 2018. Dramatic as this sounds, Nord has emphasized that no user data was compromised, and that just a single one of its 3,000+ servers was affected, for a brief window only.
Even with incidents such as this, a VPN is still an excellent way to ensure that your surfing habits are private, and your data protected. NordVPN is still one of the best you can choose, but, if you're keen on an alternative, then it's PureVPN that just takes the lead in our comparison. There are also regular PureVPN deals and discounts that make it narrowly cheaper than NordVPN, too.
With over twenty VPNs tested to date, including free and paid-for software, we know a great VPN when we see one. NordVPN and PureVPN are packed with features, making them powerful, but they're also simple to use, meaning they aren't too daunting for new users.
Read on to find out which one is best for you.
- PureVPN vs NordVPN: Head-to-Head — Here's our more detailed comparison overview of the two VPNs
- PureVPN — A quick look at the highlights, pros and cons of PureVPN
- NordVPN — A quick look at the highlights, pros and cons of NordVPN
- NordVPN is Faster Than PureVPN — In our tests, we found that NordVPN is better over both short-range and long range connections
- NordVPN and PureVPN Draw for Features — Both options offer more features than you're likely to use, with plenty of overlap
- PureVPN is Better for Privacy Than NordVPN — PureVPN comes with more granular privacy features, including antivirus and alerts
- PureVPN and NordVPN Draw for Ease of Use — Both services offer straightforward interfaces and guides
- PureVPN is Priced Lower Than NordVPN — The two VPNs are priced at around the industry average, but PureVPN is a little more inexpensive overall
- Verdict — Depending on your needs and preferences, either option could be best for you
PureVPN vs NordVPN: Head-to-Head
Both PureVPN and NordVPN are great ways to protect your identity and your data. Still, PureVPN's suite of privacy features beats out NordVPN's. They're both feature-rich and offer fantastic value, but given the fact that VPNs are all about privacy, we have to hand the win over to PureVPN in the end.
|Ease of Use|
|Help & Support|
|Number of servers||750||3605|
|Built-in Speed test||Yes||No|
|Number of Devices||5||6|
|Cheapest Monthly Plan||$2.80 (1-year plan)||$2.99 (3-year plan)|
|Discounts||Click for Deals||Click for Deals|
Please scroll to view table on mobile devices
Best for: Simplicity
PureVPN is refreshingly easy to use. Getting set up and using the package is straightforward, making it a great choice for new starters.
PureVPN can be used across five devices, meaning you can use it on your desktop PC, your phone (with the associated app), and still use it on three more compatible computers, phones or tablets.
PureVPN can also be used by those looking to access Netflix outside their country, opening up entire new libraries of video content that until now have been unavailable.
- Effective privacy and security features
- Smart Mode-based approach
- Clear notifications
- Excellent value
- Not quite as fast as billed
- Doesn’t unblock Netflix unless you use the browser extension
Best for: Security
NordVPN is one of the best VPN packages we’ve tested. It might be a little too feature-rich for the novice user, but for those who like full control, its versatility will be very appealing.
NordVPN is fast, and can maintain speeds at an impressive rate, beating many of its competitors. There is always some small loss of speed when using a VPN, but with NordVPN, it’s minimal.
A suite of extra security features mean that NordVPN is an excellent choice for those looking to protect their data.
- Fast and effective
- Packed with features
- Excellent value
- Not the most intuitive VPN for absolute beginners
- Couldn't unblock some streaming services when tested
- Assumes some technical knowledge
Tech.co is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through the links on our site, we may earn a commission from the retailers of the products we have reviewed. This helps Tech.co to provide free advice and reviews for our readers. It has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews.