It's only been a couple of months since the last Kindle update, the premium-priced Kindle Oasis, but Amazon has swiftly followed it up with yet another new model, this time aimed at younger readers.
The Kindle Kids Edition is the company's first attempt at a child-friendly ebook reader. It comes with exclusive features designed to make reading easier for your child, as well as ways to encourage them to do more of it.
Amazon has also announced an update to the Kindle Fire 10 Kids Edition, giving it a snappier processor and making a few design changes.
Kindle Kids Edition
While Amazon has been selling us Kindles for years, the one unexploited gap in its market has been a child-focused ebook device. That's something of a surprise, given that the Kindle Fire tablet range has had a child-friendly version for a number of years now. With the Kindle Kids Edition, Amazon is looking to rectify this. It appears to be adopting the same approach that made its Fire Kids edition so popular – namely, offering a generous warranty, plus exclusive features for both children and parents.
So, what exactly is the Kindle Kids Edition? Well, on the surface, it's pretty much the entry-level Kindle that Amazon is already selling. There's no surprise here – the Kids Fire tablets have always been pre-existing models that have been given some child-focused features.
This means that young readers get a 6-inch screen, with a light, plus an estimated four-week battery life. Amazon has given junior readers a little more storage though, with 8GB, compared to 4GB on the standard Kindle.
So far, so Kindle. But, it's the extras that make this version of Amazon's e-reader so child-friendly:
- 2-year warranty – For many parents, this could be the feature that seals the deal. Just like its Fire Kids Edition range, Amazon is giving users a no-quibble two-year warranty on new devices. This means that if your child drops their Kindle, throws it in the bath, or smears it in pasta sauce, Amazon will send you a new one, no questions asked.
- Cover – Amazon is including a cover with the Kindle Kids Edition – no doubt in an attempt to foil the mishaps mentioned above. There's choice of four colorful covers to choose from, with magnetic clasps to keep them closed.
- No Adverts – Regular Kindles are sold at a slight discount if you agree to let Amazon advertise to you on the lock screen. With the Kids Edition, there won't be any adverts as standard.
- Achievement badges – In an element of gamification, children can earn badges and work towards goals as they read.
- Word Wise – A feature that automatically gives simple definitions to difficult words
- Amazon Free Time Unlimited – A year's access to Amazon Free Time, which includes thousands of titles
- Parent app – A dedicated app for parents gives visibility over what their child is reading, and when
The Kindle Kids Edition is available to pre-order now, and will be released on 30 October. It's priced at $109.99, though it may be worth holding off buying or pre-ordering until Black Friday (29 November), as Amazon often does discounts on its Kindle range.
Read our guide to find the right Kindle for you
Amazon Kindle Kids Edition
- 6-inch screen
- 8GB storage
- Includes cover
- 2-year warranty
Amazon Fire HD 10 Kids Edition
Also announced the Fire HD 10 Kids Edition. This isn't quite the showstopper that the Kindle above is – mainly, because it's a small iteration to an existing tablet. Amazon has always had great success with its Fire range of tablets, and they regularly prop up its own best-sellers list. Fire tablets are able to compete with Apple's iPad thanks to Amazon's “stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap” strategy.
The Kids versions are no different, and the Fire HD 10 is the premium model in the range, offering more power than the Fire 7 and Fire 8 models. It's a 10-inch tablet, with an Octa-core 2.0GHz processor, and it runs Amazon's bespoke version of Android, FireOS.
So, what do you get with it? The new Fire HD 10 Kids Edition includes:
- 2-year warranty – One of Amazon's key selling points of its Kids tablet is the no-quibble guarantee. If your child breaks it, Amazon will automatically replace it, for up to two years, with no questions asked.
- New case – The Fire HD 10 retains the chunky, colorful case of previous models, but now includes a built-in stand.
- USB-C – The Fire HD 10 has ditched the mini-USB port, and gone with the more modern USB-C instead.
- Amazon Free Time Unlimited – Included in the price is a year's subscription to Amazon Free Time, which gives users access to thousands of videos, apps and books.
The Fire 10 HD Kid's Edition is available to pre-order now, and will release October 30th. It is priced at $199.99.
Read our guide to the best tablets for kids
Amazon Fire HD 10 Kids Edition
- 32GB storage (expandable with SD Card)
- 12 hour battery life
- Case with stand
- 2 year warranty
If you click on, sign up to a service through, or make a purchase through the links on our site, or use our quotes tool to receive custom pricing for your business needs, we may earn a referral fee from the supplier(s) of the technology you’re interested in. This helps Tech.co to provide free information and reviews, and carries no additional cost to you. Most importantly, it doesn’t affect our editorial impartiality. Ratings and rankings on Tech.co cannot be bought. Our reviews are based on objective research analysis. Rare exceptions to this will be marked clearly as a ‘sponsored' table column, or explained by a full advertising disclosure on the page, in place of this one. Click to return to top of page