June 14, 2016
The digital marketing world hardly stands still. Just a few years ago you need to be more of an engineer and rely heavily on SEO and optimizing your website content, yet now you have a bunch of other channels to cater as well – social media, email marketing, visual and content marketing.
Hence, as a digital marketer you need to learn how social and digital channels operate together. While the job may sound a bit messy at first, crafting an integral digital marketing strategy is simpler than you think. Just follow the next 5-step blueprint.
Learn to Interpret Your Data
Big data now governs the place and smart marketers are already squeezing the max out of it to offer more personalized customer experience; create more targeted ad and content marketing campaigns, gather more leads and optimize sales funnels.
Having Google Analytics setup and tracked is out of the question, yet marketing analytics doesn’t end here. Additionally, it’s worth using separate tools for tracking and measuring your email marketing campaigns, social media and lead generation from contact forms. According to HubSpot, 82 percent of marketers say their executive management expects every campaign to be measured, less than a third can effectively evaluate the ROI of each channel.
Hence, you need different analytics tools to get a clear picture of all the aspects of your marketing campaign.
Squeeze the Most out of Email Marketing
Email marketing is reported to bring the top ROI – $38 for each $1 spent. Ignoring this channel means you are deliberately cutting yourself off some massive profits.
Niche targeting, smart list segmentation, campaign A/B testing and analyzing key metrics such as bounce, open and clickthrough rate should be on top of your agenda. Teach yourself to write better email copies and irresistible subject lines to guide your users to the desired outcome. Be strategic about growing your email list since day one and leveraging your asserts afterwards with targeted campaigns.
Become a Better Content Marketer
Content is still the foundation of a successful digital marketing campaign. When you craft your content marketing strategy well and you will deliver superior value to your audience, your engagement, traffic, leads and sales stats will go drastically up.
Yet, producing great content isn’t as easy as it seems. The key components you need to take into account are the following:
- How to create a documented content marketing strategy and editorial plan
- How to find trending topics your target audience can’t pass by
- How to craft an epic copy to beat your competition (hint: it takes loads of time, research and investment if you choose to hire a professional writer)
- How to do proper search engine optimization for your content without appearing spammy
- The best ways to promote your content after hitting publish (as writing is just 1/3 of the deal).
Don’t Be Afraid to Experiment with Growth Hacking
All the cool kids from the unicorn club have done it during the early stages. Growth hacking isn’t some sleazy or complicated strategy you should avoid in the first place.
Consider implementing one of the next simple growth hacks for a start:
- Leverage less popular social media networks e.g. Reddit and StumbleUpon instead of investing into paid social media advertising.
- Build up anticipation with a viral pre-launch campaign to get early users on board and build up your subscribers’ list.
- Create product integrations to piggyback ride on someone else’s popularity and get listed in their partner’s directories.
- Scoop other niches and see whether you can implement similar hacks for your business instead of copying your competition.
Invest into Visual Marketing
A picture is worth a thousands words, especially when it comes to sales. Pinterest, Instagram, Snapchat are dominating the scene with visual updates and it’s a shame to ignore this trend. When it comes to your on-site content, research shows that content with relevant images tend to get 94 percent more views than copies without them. Visuals are the key to communicating your brand story better and attract more eyeballs to the content you publish.
Creating compelling visual content isn’t as expensive as you think, especially with all the free tools out there like Canva, Infogr.am, Venngage, Slidely and others. Video production can be done on cheap if you have the right tools in your arsenal and some spare time to shoot a few takes.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!
Sorry about that. Try these articles instead!