There are always a plethora of award shows and pitch competitions at #SXSW every year during the interactive portion, the last of which – and certainly not the least – is the SXSW Innovation Awards. This event puts a capstone on the Interactive portion in a pseudo-Oscars fashion, doling out prestigious awards in different categories across the tech world.
The Downtown Las Vegas community was thrilled to see one of our own, Local Motors, take home Best of Show. Specifically, the Local Motors team won for their Strati 3D printed car. Plenty of other great concepts, companies, and products took home awards as well, and we’ve included the full list in this article.
The winners of the SXSW Innovation Awards are:
- Best of Show: Strati, The World’s First 3D Printed Car
By: Local Motors Inc., Las Vegas, NV
- Hall of Fame Induction: Tamara Hudgins, Girlstart
- Breakout Trend of the Year: Diversity
- Speaker of the Event: Martine Rothblatt, United Therapeutics Corporation – “AI, Immortality and the Future of Selves” keynote (interviewed by Lisa Miller, New York Magazine)
- Meme of the Year: ALS Association – Ice Bucket Challenge
- Health, Med, and Biotech: VocaliD, Boston
- Innovation in Connecting People: FireChat: the first off-the-grid messaging app
By: Open Garden Inc., San Francisco
- Innovative 3-DIY: Project Daniel
By: Not Impossible, Los Angeles
- Internet of Things: Clever Buoy
By: M&C Saatchi, Sydney, Australia
- Music Discovery: Cone
By: Aether, San Francisco
- New Economy: Acorns, Newport Beach, Calif.
- Privacy and Security: Disconnect
By: Disconnect, San Francisco
- Responsive Design: 100 Years of Design
By: Second Story, part of SapientNitro, Portland, Oregon
- Sci-Fi No Longer: Noninvasive skin cancer detection device
By: Cockrell School of Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin
- Student Innovation: Expressive Wearable
By: Sangli Li, Pasadena, Calif.
- Sustainable Tech: EDGEhome
By: Green Edge Technologies, Inc., San Diego, Calif.
- Transportation Advancements: Guide Dots
By: VML, Kansas City, Missouri
- Visual Media Experience: netwars / out of CTRL
By: filmtank GmbH, Berlin
- Wearable Tech: FreeWavz Smart Earphones
By: hEar Gear, Inc., Melbourne, Florida