September 12, 2019
You won’t be too shocked to hear that the iPad and iPad Air are both excellent tablets. Apple has been selling its iconic iPad for almost a decade now, and we’ve bought over 360 million of them. There’s a reason for that – coupling sleek design and speedy processors with an intuitive user interface, the iPad appeals to Apple experts and newcomers alike.
The question, then, is which model do you go for? Apple has four distinct ranges in its iPad stable, but we’re going to focus on the iPad 9.7/10.2 and the 2019 iPad Air in this guide, and let you know which is the better fit for you.
Whether you’re an avid social media user, Netflix streamer, or hardworking designer, we’ll suggest the right iPad to opt for.
In this guide:
- iPad 9.7 or iPad Air – which should you buy?
- iPad 9.7 Overview – best for everyday users on a budget
- iPad 10.2 Overview – The latest iPad, with a large display
- iPad Air Overview – best for those that want more power
- The iPad 9.7 is Much Better Value – it's far cheaper, and still premium
- The iPad Air Has Better Accessories – designed for the latest Apple add-ons
- The iPad Air is More Powerful – though it's still no iPad Pro
- The iPad is Better for Casual Users – and that means most people
- Verdict: Which iPad Should You Buy? – almost certainly the 9.7!
Apple's cheapest tablet
Now compatible with Apple Pencil
Excellent battery life
Not suited for demanding users
- Apple's newest tablet
- Now compatible with Apple Smart keyboard
- Excellent battery life
- Same A10 processor as 2018 model
A12 Processor, more powerful than the iPad
7MP front camera
Compatible with Smart Keyboard
Steep price increase from standard iPad
Can't compete with Pro on specs
Tech.co is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through the links on our site, we may earn a commission from the retailers of the products we have reviewed. This helps Tech.co to provide free advice and reviews for our readers. It has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!
Sorry about that. Try these articles instead!