December 12, 2017
Today, the Internet project is one of the most promising undertakings. The word “site” is firmly included in our lexicon. The last time together with this word, we constantly use two more words such as “development” and “promotion”. And this is not surprising because, under the press of an incredible number of different proposals in the provision of services for the development and promotion of sites, these two concepts are rooted as the only ones deserving attention when starting an Internet project in the brain of an ordinary user.
But there is one more word, without which neither the creation nor the promotion will make sense if you are creating a serious project. Moreover, if you neglect this word, your business may be much worse than it was before. This is about security, not about the physical security of the computer on which your site is stored, which, of course, is also worth taking care of, but about security on the Internet.
It is difficult to overestimate the importance of security issues for your site if important information is stored in its database. So, for example, it's hard to imagine that the head of the IT department in a large bank, in whose database the credit card numbers of his clients and other important information are stored, will be able to sleep peacefully at night if he is told on the eve that the bank's website is not properly protected and can be hacked within an hour by a hacker.
Computer thieves are increasingly trying to access the private information that is on the computer or on a specific site. Mostly they need any credit card information or other confidential data. Each time they act more and more sophisticated and trickier. To effectively protect yourself against them, you need to know their basic methods of hacking.
How Thieves Access Your System
Here are basic techniques that thieves most often use to get through to your system.
Hack the Site
Hacking the platform of the site on which the information is located. To maximally protect yourself from this, place information on sites with a complex programming language, and the server of which does not have a way out of the internal network. If there is additional authentication of users, then this will be an additional plus for your protection.
Cracking the Password
The source of the password can serve as a script launched by hackers, which will read all the information entered on the keyboard and transmit it to intruders. The harder the password is, the harder it is for the script to recognize it. If the password consists of upper and lower case, characters and digits, it will be more difficult for computer thieves to get your information.
Due to lack of antivirus, unlicensed operating system and because of uninstalled updates, your secret data can be stolen. To protect yourself, you need to configure protection, use a firewall and install the necessary updates from the official site of the vendor.
Lack of Regular Scanning
Such negligence can lead to the fact that you can lose everything in a jiffy. To save information stored on the site, it is recommended to conduct a quarterly PCI scan through the Trustwave service.
Failure to do this often leads to the blocking of any data. It's easier for hackers to steal information if you do not have the latest version of the patch. They just need to press one button, and the virus will penetrate into the security center and deprive you of access to your documents.
Brutus is similar to hacking a password, but it happens in a different way. If the password is compromised by reading the information, then Brutus is a password cracking using the selection method. Of course, you can have a complicated password that consists of letters and numbers, but if the password specifies your name and year of birth, then for hackers it will be just a gift. Also, using this method, a similar password is calculated on other services, so do not use the same password on different sites and change the password more often. This applies to passwords from FTP, database users, and accounts on the site.
People Tell Them
Hacking without the use of technical means. This method is rarely used, but it works. To get the password, the attackers say that they are technical support workers or administrators and ask for a password. The security measure for this method is one: be careful and do not disclose your information to log into your account.
How to Strengthen the Protection of Your Website
Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to secure your site from an external invasion by one hundred percent, because in every, even the most regularly updated software, there are likely to be errors and vulnerabilities. Through them, in most cases, an attacker gets access to the server's file system.
But fortunately, there are a number of measures that significantly reduce the likelihood of hacking the site, stealing passwords and the appearance of viruses on the site. Follow them and save yourself from many problems.
- Keep the account information (FTP, control panel, e-mail) in a safe place (not in e-mail, or in text files on the hard disk). Special password managers are best suited for this. It is highly undesirable to remember passwords in the FTP manager or in the browser password store.
- Change passwords regularly: at least once a month, and after providing access to third parties (for example, web developers or SEO specialists who worked with your site).
- Regularly check your working computer for viruses, trojans and other malicious software, prevent your articles from plagiarism. Install a commercial antivirus with regular database updates.
- Do not use unlicensed software and “zero” scripts. Very often they contain a “trojan horse” in the form of a virus, backdoor or shell script.
- Regularly update the CMS on which your sites are running: install patches, upgrade to new versions.
- Back up the server to your local work computer. Very often malicious scripts can be detected when downloading a backup copy of the site via FTP. Anti-Virus scans incoming traffic and swears when the download file is dangerous.
- Order a security audit of your site from a specialist, or check yourself with the help of specialized programs.
- Another proven method of protection is protection with .htaccess files. These files help to configure and improve the security of the site. Thanks to them, you can install many additional configurations that will help build a system of protection against hacking. Also, thanks to the .htaccess file, editing the system's parameters will be more secure for you, because it happens without affecting the main configuration file, which means that the system crash due to the deletion of the system file is almost eliminated.
- The SSL protocol is another irreplaceable helper in the protection of the site. Thanks to it, a secure connection is established between the server and the user's browser. The information is transmitted in a coded form via HTTPS. Hacking a site becomes much more complicated because only a special key can decrypt the encoding.
- Moderation and administration of the site remain the best way to protect the site from hacking. Moderation includes constant monitoring of all “knots” of the site, daily “cleaning” of the site from spam and prompt provision of any technical changes to the site. Administration means counting statistics and tracking changes in content.
Read more about protecting your site and company's information on TechCo
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!
Sorry about that. Try these articles instead!