Study: Going to the Bathroom Increases Smartphone Use

We all do it. Every single one of us has brought our phones into the bathroom with us to kill some time. The smartphone has become the magazine of the modern age and everyone seems to be on board. And while some people have claimed it’s as unsanitary as licking the inside of your toilet bowl, the masses have deemed bathroom smartphone use a necessity in the world we live. So if you feel like you’re the only one, take solace from a recent survey from MiMedia that had some shocking numbers when it came to this phenomenon.

First of all, according to the survey, 69 percent of people surveyed admit to using their smartphone in the bathroom. While I’m not one to question scientific studies, that seems a bit low. Perhaps they’ve read the studies and know that the amount of bacteria living on your phone after bringing it into is similar to dunking it in a vat of toxic waste. Regardless, 69 percent is still quite a large number.

As far as what you are doing on the toilet when you use your phone, the survey showed that, unsurprisingly, more than half (59 percent) of users perused various social media websites when parked on the pot. In addition to that, 32 percent admitted to shopping online and 8 percent divulged that they actually check up on their online dating profiles. That’s kind of gross, right?

More importantly, 42 percent of users say they go to the bathroom exclusively to use their smartphones, which is by far the most insane thing I have read in my entire life. Unless they’re talking about using fake bathroom breaks at work, then I totally understand. I also understand that 74 percent of smartphone users are extending their bathroom stay to peruse the web in all its glory. Because who can scroll through a Facebook newsfeed in under a minute?

What I don’t understand is how only 69 percent of people can use their smartphone in the bathroom! That is way too low! I’m sorry I can’t move on from this but seriously, only 69 percent? Are the other 31 percent reading magazines, playing Solitaire or just wasting time? Get on it, 31 percenters! You aren’t getting those bathroom minutes back so you might as well use them for something enjoyable.

Did you find this article helpful? Click on one of the following buttons
We're so happy you liked! Get more delivered to your inbox just like it.

We're sorry this article didn't help you today – we welcome feedback, so if there's any way you feel we could improve our content, please email us at

Written by:
Conor is the Lead Writer for For the last six years, he’s covered everything from tech news and product reviews to digital marketing trends and business tech innovations. He's written guest posts for the likes of Forbes, Chase, WeWork, and many others, covering tech trends, business resources, and everything in between. He's also participated in events for SXSW, Tech in Motion, and General Assembly, to name a few. He also cannot pronounce the word "colloquially" correctly. You can email Conor at
Explore More See all news
Back to top
close Building a Website? We've tested and rated Wix as the best website builder you can choose – try it yourself for free Try Wix today