February 19, 2013
As an entrepreneur, you wear multiple hats – marketing, financial, and leadership, just to name a few.
Just like everyone else, you are not good at wearing every single one of them. Additionally, you find that some activities you perform effortlessly, and others are real “work.” That is because, as unique and talented individuals, we are all wired differently.
Research of thousands of entrepreneurs shows that our thinking styles predominantly fall into one of the four quadrants of Visionary, Cultivator, Builder, or Architect. Michael Potts, captaining MyEZOG, rightly named these quadrants as Entrepreneurial Zones of Genius (EZOG).
Focusing on your zone of genius enables you to bring your A game and perform at your best, Potts says. Identifying and working in your EZOG increases your success on your entrepreneurial journey.
A quick brief on EZOG styles:
- Visionary: You are creative. You can spot an opportunity and envision the future.
- Architect: You can design functional solutions and simplify complexity with your intellect and logic.
- Builder: You are practical, good at implementing and making things happen.
- Cultivator: You are good with people and know how to build a tribe or lead a team to launch the project.
As you build your team, you tend to attract people like you, and you need to find people you like that think differently. EZOG really helps stimulate and de-mystify the “think differently” space.
Visionaries need Builders, Architects need Cultivators, and visa versa. In business we typically seek similar gender and thinking styles. But in your cofounder, make sure you are adding a complementary style.
- A Visionary who attracts a visionary has great conversations, wild dreams, and exciting exchanges – and, sadly, something rarely gets built.
- An Architect who gets into a technical exchange with another Architect will finesse the details, argue about the right way to do it, and get frustrated that what is obvious to them isn’t obvious to others.
- The Builders who work together are super productive so much gets done. They are always busy, but sadly they sometimes keep going around in circles. Or they stay focused on perfecting their rowing technique when they should be building a motor.
- Finally, two Cultivators are going to probably meet socially, be excited about what is possible, and yet resign themselves to nothing really happening – because, like great conductors, they need musicians to actually make music.
So what is the EZOG quiz? It’s 25 questions that help you discover your Entrepreneurial Zone of Genius. The analysis is based on well-proven science, and thousands of entrepreneurs have already taken the test and discovered their zone of genius.
Discovering your own EZOG and encouraging the people you work with to discover theirs will help you all perform in better alignment. When you need to hire someone, seek to add complementary styles best suited to the existing team and the task at hand. Building on your talents and strengths and those of others around you is so much more rewarding and effective than trying to patch over weaknesses.
The EZOG team encourages you to invest ten minutes in yourself, discover your EZOG, and seek out creative ways to spend more time there, working in your Entrepreneurial Zone of Genius.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!
Sorry about that. Try these articles instead!